Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Keep the 951 or go with another car?
01'-02' Audi TT 1.8T w/ Quattro and 6 spd
7.50%
01'-02' 2000 Boxster or Boxster S
42.50%
Keep the 87' 951
50.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking of trading the 951 for a Boxter or TT, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading the 951 for a Boxter or TT, what do you think?

First off, I love my 951. I bought it as a fixer upper last summer though, and as it turns out its just requiring way more work and money than I thought it would. I've fixed up a ton of stuff including the interior, brakes, and a bunch of other minor mechanical items. Unfortunately it needs a lot more work to make it the car I want (think track ready). If I was going to keep it I'd need to redo the suspension, exhuast, waste gate, paint work (the stone gaurd behind the front fenders is in bad shape), fix a minor coolant leak, repair a bad second gear synchro, and I'm sure there's some other small things that need to be done. At any rate, its looking like a good $7500 in work. Thats a lot considering I only paid $5,000 for the car and I've probably sunk around $2500 into already. Whoever said it isn't cheap to fix these things up was right.

So what I'm thinking is that I can sell this car for around $8,000, and just get myself a nice Boxster or Audi TT (1.8T HO with Quattro). Nice examples of both of these cars can be had for $15,000-20,0000. The upside here is that they're 15 years newer, and are (hopefully) more reliable.

I really like the 951. It just doesn't make good financial sense for me to sit and throw a total of $15,000 or more into a car thats only going to be worth substantially less when done.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:46 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Doesn't seem that bad...

Suspension = what needs to be done..?
Exhaust = new exhaust at a shop is not bad and more performance

Wastegate = never done it on a 951, heard its kind of a pita but again, not too expensive and seems like it requires more patience then skill..

Stoneguards are suuuuper easy to replace. Got a heat gun? Its also amazing what a good body guy can do with "bad" paint. I'll have to dig up some pics of my Starion before I used some polishing compound on it and after. I don't have anywhere NEAR the skill of ANY body man and it looked incredible after (white car...oxidation everywhere! almost yellow in some spots)

Where is the coolant leak? A transmission is fairly easy to replace but how bad is the synchro?

I know what you mean about throwing that much money into a car that won't be worth nearly as much, but which would you enjoy more?? I've considered time and time again to just sell my car and pick up a newer Honda. I did but its not a car and requires some money anyway..
Still carless and I still have the porsche but I love it.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Boxster is a great car but I do not think I would be happy with a Non-S after a 951.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

The suspension at this point it entirely stock. At the minimum I'm talking about doing springs, rear coil overs, and shocks/struts all around. Preferably Koni's or Bilstein's. With bushings and miscellaneous parts I'm guessing it will cost around $1500 in parts.

I haven't priced having an exhaust done at a shop, but I'd like to get a direct fit catalytic converter and go with a 3" cat back. The cat alone is around $500, so I'd guess this work will probably run around $1000.

Wastegate probably goes for another $300 or so.

Its not the 3M stick on stone gaurds that are a problem. The rubbery stone protector paint at the rear of the front fenders is peeling off. I also need to have some paint damage repaired from when my front tire hit the fender at the track and cracked the paint. Throw in painting the AIR splitter I bought and we've got another $1,000 in work.

I haven't chased down th coolant leak yet, but it appears to be on the passenger side towards the front of the car. It only leaks when hot so I'm guessing its hose or radiator related. Its hard to tell exactly without tearing off the black factory air dam (bat wing???). This one could be cheap. Who knows.

As for the synchro I'm hoping a switch to Redling oil will cure the problem. It used to be only an occasional issue but since installing Mobil1 last week its become far worse. In reality I'd be much happier just fixing the transmission than hoping for a magical fluid fix. I'd rather not have to limp home after blowing second gear at a track day. I'm guessing that a transmission rebuild will easily run $2,000. Even with pulling the tranny myself I can still see spending $1500.

I hate to bail on this car because I really do love it. I just can't afford to keep throwing money at it. Thats why a newer car without the maintenance issues looks so tempting. If I pick up a Boxster I've got reliability and track performance right out of the box. A TT would be reliable(ish), and track ready with some minor mods, plus it could be driven in winter which means I could get rid of my other car.

Someone convince me this car is worth keeping. Please...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

dude sing your sorrows with me, i bought my 944 actually as an investment, i thought i could just slap on a paint job and that'd be it, but nope just to get it registered i've spent WAY WAY WAY more than the value of the car. i'll sell it and go negitive on the profits but it's ok, i've learned a LOT and so its all good.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

one thing to consider on the early boxster where the engine problems and now that there out of warrerenty it would be quite costly if the motor fails(more common then you think) and a reman motor is around 8K plus a 2.5K core plus labour, just something to think about

brandon
Old 04-20-2006, 11:06 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I had an '01 Boxster. I loved that car. It is much more refined and I enjoyed driving it around town more than my 951. The 951 is much more fun on the track. If you are wanting to track the car stay with the 951 all the way, otherwise it is kind of a toss up to me. The 951 has a little better performance than and early boxster, but the boxster is just a great car. I never had any major problems with my Boxster, but it wasn't an early one.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:48 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Is all about your likes and goals.... I personally don't care for boxster. IMO an overpriced underperformer compared to 951.

The previously metnioned plagues of early model boxster engine issues IS A SERIOUS issue to consider with early cars. You think you are bumming with the 951 issues... go price a replacement engine for early boxster.... and then figure how upside down you'll be to sell it once fixed.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:58 AM
formerGMguy
Racer

Here’s what I’m thinking, I can pick up a 01’ or 02’ TT with the 225hp 1.8T for and around 50,000 miles for about $16,000. By simply chipping the car you can get a reliable 270hp out of the engine for around $500 from APR. For another couple grand or so you can put some 993 “big red” brakes on the front. Another grand or so nets a nice street/track suspension. So for under $20,000 I get a reliable car with comparable room to a 951 (so its not totally useless like a Z3 or something), and I can still get my money back out of it.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

If you are going to change cars, at least stay in the family!

From the automotive journalists doing reviews that I've seen/heard, the Boxster is more on par with the BMW Z3/4, and should handily beat the TT in the fun to drive factor.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by formerGMguy
Here’s what I’m thinking, I can pick up a 01’ or 02’ TT with the 225hp 1.8T for and around 50,000 miles for about $16,000. By simply chipping the car you can get a reliable 270hp out of the engine for around $500 from APR. For another couple grand or so you can put some 993 “big red” brakes on the front. Another grand or so nets a nice street/track suspension. So for under $20,000 I get a reliable car with comparable room to a 951 (so its not totally useless like a Z3 or something), and I can still get my money back out of it.
The TT is a golf! Get the Boxster...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the 225 Turbo Audi TT Quattro....and other than unique looks and reliability, I don't like it as well as my 968 or my 928...not nearly as fun to drive...and doesn't corner well without replacing shocks, etc....but it is more reliable and has a few more creature comforts than the older Porsches. I want to sell the TT but my likes it.

Harvey
Old 04-21-2006, 03:46 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

How do we feel about the previous generation S4's with the 2.7L 5V Bi-Turbo setup?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by formerGMguy
How do we feel about the previous generation S4's with the 2.7L 5V Bi-Turbo setup?
I just sold mine and bought a Boxster S, that give you an idea how I felt?
I owned it for just under 2 years.
It is a really great sedan but it's not a sports car, I never really "bonded" with it.
heavy car as well.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd consider either a step up. The early Boxsters had some problems - something to consider. The Audi is a great car but if I were to consider a TT, I'd want a roadster (way more $$$).

I've come to have such a love-hate relationship with my 951. I enjoy the hell out of driving it and will probably love doing so even more once I get my big-pile-o-mods bolted onto it, but I probably wouldn't be disappointed to dump it in favor of something more reliable/less of a PITA to work on either. "Newer" doesn't mean "better" to me. In fact it usually means worse (more stupid expensive electronic ding-dongs and crap to break). My first choice of a next car to get would be an early Carerra cabriolet. I'd trade my 951 (with mods) in a heartbeat for one, just 'cause they're raw, simple and a blast. All the good traits of the 951 without all the B.S.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading the 951 for a Boxter or TT, what do you think?