Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 944 CLUTCH HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Alpine_Racer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 944 CLUTCH HELP!!!

Hi, I'm changing the clutch on my 944.... i have removed the tranny, pulled back the torque tube, and removed the clutch housing.... here's the problem

2 bolt of the few on the pressure plate has been stripped... i tried using bolt pullers and broke two wrenches so i decided to drill and break the head off but it's killing my drill bits.... Is it necessary to remove these bolts to pull out the clutch? I see that these bolts hold a big ring gear for the starter to the pressure plate but don't understand how it works since the flywheel is the engine end.... what actually holds the pressure plate/clutch onto the flywheel?

thanks everyone
Old 04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

you will have to remove the bolts that are holding the pressure plate onto the flywheel. When you succeed in drilling the 2 bolts off, take the flywheel off the car and pull the broken bolt stud out with vice grips. If you're a little insecure about that technique, you can have the shop that will be resurfacing that fly wheel do it for you.

This is a common thing to happen on clutches. When assembling my clutch, I applied anti-seize on the bolts (lots of it) and torqued them to the proper specifications. Chances are, someone that did the clutch before you over-torqued these bolts.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say the bolts are stripped, do you mean you rounded out the internal hex head? If so, some people have had success by taking a slightly larger torx or 12 point bit, hammering it in to the stripped hex to get enough grip. A sharp cobalt bit shouldn't have too much trouble driiling the heads off though...

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 CLUTCH HELP!!!