Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My letter to Norfolk Police dept, about the guys ID in my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Royalty
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My letter to Norfolk Police dept, about the guys ID in my car

This is a letter to channel 10 news, the NPD, and anyone else i can think of that I am typing.

If you guys see any room for editing let me know. I'm writing another one for Tommy and Rumble

Hello,
First off I would like to say thank you to all of Norfolk's finest for the job they do. Its a very difficult job and it's definitely appreciated.

Onto my issue.

Recently my Porsche was broken into and some items were stolen. Upon further inspection of my vehicle I notice something in the bottom corner of the drivers door. I pick the item up and wouldn't you know it, it is identification card. I immediately called the police, report the break-in and inform them that I have a suspect. The officer comes and takes a report and confiscates the ID. I ask him if anyone can come and fingerprint my vehicle so I can begin the process of pressing criminal charges against the suspect.

He tells me that Norfolk Police Department does not finger print for vandalism's and break-ins. The officer looked up the suspects record and found what he described as "a history of thefts". I thought it odd that the identification card of a convicted criminal is found at the scene of a crime and that no effort is put forward gather the necessary evidence to have this person arrested. I figured it was about 1am and the officer was tired and wanted to go home. Fair enough, i shrug my shoulders and call the local Police Department. A very nice gentleman answers the phone and I tell him everything that transpired the day before. He tells me pretty much what the officer who took my report did, He said "It was just not worth it to the city to send a unit out to dust for prints.If we did it for one person we would have to do it for everybody and that would cost the city a lot of money" I was at a loss for words.

A few days later a detective calls me at work and he begins to tell me that there is nothing they can really do in this case. It is very convenient that the ID of a convicted thief is found inside of your broken into car but they do not have enough evidence to arrest him. I ask to come and dust for prints and they will have all the evidence they need. I do not recall his exact words but I can just tell you that my car has not been finger printed yet.

So my question is this how much damage has to occur before its a crime worth doing something about?

My cars have been broken at least eight times as well as many of my neighbors. All of these incidents were reported to the Norfolk Police. We finally get a break and catch the criminal red handed but cannot press charges because obtaining the necessary evidence "will cost the city too much money".

That is unacceptable.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Royalty
Banned

oh yea, i mocked this up at work, so th egrammer might not be too proper
Old 04-17-2006, 02:48 PM
AZS2
Racer

First off I would take the "Porsche" out of the letter. It sounds a little pretentious. Basically I don't think cops bother with prints if someone wasn't injured. We watch too much CSI and think they just dust for prints and run them through a supercomputer and find a match. I doubt it works that good. My wifes house was broken into (before we were married). After some pushing she got the cops to take some prints. They said it would be like 2 months before they could even try to match them. Thats how back-logged they are here. If your crime wasn't violent, go to the back of the line and stay there. By the time they get to it AND if they do get a match, the crackhead is probably already in jail, dead, or moved on.

Last, I saw your post when the first happened. How do you know somebody like an Ex. isn't trying to set this guy up? Break into your car and toss the guys ID in there so *maybe* he gets picked up and sent off for a while.

It sucks when bad things happen to good people, but I am afraid to say you are probably just pissing into the wind on this one. Good luck I do hope you get some results.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:06 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Tommy and Rumble?

It sucks that they're not doing anything about it though. NORFOLK cops are the biggest pieces of ****.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:08 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Sorry to hear of your break in and poor police response. I had a similar problem last summer with a home break-in. I lost approximately $13,000 in collector rifles that I can never replace. The police just plain dropped the ball even though they had the names of the two tweekers. If you want to see poor police responce read my attached thread. I hope you wrote down the guys name and address because the only way you are going to get any satisfaction is to take your time and deal with it yourself in your own manner.

In case you are interested here's the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=vacation
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by AZS2

Last, I saw your post when the first happened. How do you know somebody like an Ex. isn't trying to set this guy up? Break into your car and toss the guys ID in there so *maybe* he gets picked up and sent off for a while.

It sucks when bad things happen to good people, but I am afraid to say you are probably just pissing into the wind on this one. Good luck I do hope you get some results.
I saw this guy comng out of 7-11 the other day, baggy pants down to his ankels and a 3 ring circus sized white t-shirt beleive me there is no setup. When you set someone up you go for the gold not the bronze.

By that i mean, on my street there are 2 Lincolns, 2 Mercedes, 1 BMW, 1 old and 1 new body style Expeditions, 1 Denali, 1 Oldsmobile, 1 riced out del sol and my Porsche (thats just the upscale cars).
Of course my porsche is the oldest car out of all of these so why set someone up by doing something to an older car, go for the gold with the 2005 benz or BMW.

hes stupid and he did it.

I could be pissing in the wind but I hate theives and I really hate stupid.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:34 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Someone explain to me why our tax money goes to the police when they won't help us when something ****ty actually happens. That blows man. Best luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:39 PM
AZS2
Racer

Originally Posted by Royalty
I saw this guy comng out of 7-11 the other day, baggy pants down to his ankels and a 3 ring circus sized white t-shirt beleive me there is no setup. When you set someone up you go for the gold not the bronze.

By that i mean, on my street there are 2 Lincolns, 2 Mercedes, 1 BMW, 1 old and 1 new body style Expeditions, 1 Denali, 1 Oldsmobile, 1 riced out del sol and my Porsche (thats just the upscale cars).
Of course my porsche is the oldest car out of all of these so why set someone up by doing something to an older car, go for the gold with the 2005 benz or BMW.

hes stupid and he did it.

I could be pissing in the wind but I hate theives and I really hate stupid.
I am sure he probably is the guy. I just doubt the cops will do much for you.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You beat me to it. Yes, I'd say "my car was broken into", not "my Porsche was broken into". It does turn a lot of people off when you talk about "your Porsche" and although it's an unfair stereotype, a lot of people hear "Porsche" and automatically assume $80,000 sports car owned by well-to-do rich guy.

Not an image that conjures up a lot of sympathy.

Anyway, content-wise it looks fine. Absolutely have it edited for grammar though. The tense inconistancies and other grammatical mistakes make it a bit awkward, especially for something you're submitting to a media outlet (which uses words for a living and takes proper use of them seriously - or should).

Best of luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Even if they found prints in your car the guy could say you gave him a ride, and probably dropped his ID then. Your word against his. Sad to say but you do not really have a case.

-Joel.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah i would take the word Porsche out too. It doesn't matter that it was a Porsche, it would still the same situation were it a Yugo or a Maybach. "Car" is a better word in this case. Don't let the "Porsche" be the focus, let the crime stand out.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should add that you believe he was speeding as he left the scene. It would probably warrant a followup
speeding=ticket=revenue
It could be a a win-win situation.
The problem is that the police need to know what's in it for them.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

+1 for taking out "Porsche" and replacing it with "car"

Maybe your car was the oldest of the upscale cars but it's got the best looks

You didn't catch the guy "red-handed" - that woulda been catching him in the act - but you certainly have enough evidence to get search warrant and see what stolen stuff this guy has at his apt; at least if the cops want to go through that trouble.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Even if they found prints in your car the guy could say you gave him a ride, and probably dropped his ID then. Your word against his. Sad to say but you do not really have a case.

-Joel.

Not with a broken timing belt.

As far as grammar I'll have it edit and reviewd by multiple eyes before I submit it. THis is just a draft inbetween me actually working.

I'll take out the P-car part. THanks for all your input guys.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:24 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

I wouldn't just send it to the Police station. If you really want something done about this send it to as many local papers and TV stations as possible. Go public with it and embarrass them into action. We pay taxes for a reason, and it seems pretty silly that cops are too busy handing out speeding tickets to take care of a real crime/problem. I think its pretty convienient that the legal system has no problem handing hundreds of traffic violations a day but is powerless to help out in a situation where a crime actually had a victim.

Quick Reply: My letter to Norfolk Police dept, about the guys ID in my car