Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:17 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Help

I posted that I heard a metallic rattling coming from my engine. I was on the way to the shop and heard a groan at about 3000 rpm. Stopped at light and car started to smoke. pulled into a gas station and noticed that the a/c compressor was smoking. I am figuring that the groaning and metallic rattling was a bearing in the compressor/clutch going bad. I drove it home and it is not smoking or groaning or rattling anymore. The a/c compressor was not working but i had intended to fix it. The question: Do you think it is safe to drive around the way it is? Assuming i just need a new compressor but not ready to do that yet. Any quick fixes until I can get the new one?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Likely the a/c compressor clutch pulley. You can try pulling the wire to the compressor just to make sure it's not engaging, but I've been through this before.

When I bought my 951, it kept snapping alternator belts fast as I could put 'em on. Turned out the bearing race for the a/c compressor pulley was scorched to hell. Wish I had a pic of it - it was scary. When I pulled it off it crumbled in my hands. Anyway that could very well be your problem.

Good news is a/c compressor pulleys are only about 100 bucks. Bad news is it's virtually impossible to install one without getting a leak at the front seal of the compressor. Trust me on this. I followed the instructions perfectly and still got a leak. YMMV. Best of luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

just looked at the compressor. There is grease oozing out in font of the pulley and I can slide the ring in front of the pulley left to right and up and down.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Definitely shot pulley. You can get a crank-pulley-to-alternator size belt and try to squeeze it on so at least you can drive the car (same way some a/c-delete guys do) or get the car towed. If you drive it like that, you'll end up blowing alternator belts. Ask how I know.

FWIW the battery on a 951 is pretty strong. I made it home almost a full hour in stop-go traffic, 30+ miles with a blown alt. belt without the car dying, but that was running NO unnecessary electricity. I didn't even use the brake lights when I didn't have to.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:26 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

it seems that the clutch is shot. the ring in front is totally loose. the pulley seems to be turning fine and no smoking. I disconnected the plug so it won't engage. seems to be ok now.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

When you say you can slide the ring around, is that the pulley you're talking about or just the front part of the clutch?

Glad to hear you got it fixed in any case - hopefully the bearings didn't burn up. I'm concerned about when you say there was stuff "oozing out the front" - bearing grease?

At least you can get it home, but I wouldn't expect it to go without giving you trouble again for very long - check it out later.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

The front part of the clutch. the pulley seems to be tight still.

Brought it to shop who checked it out and said I will be ok for a while. said pulley is just free wheeling now.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Help