Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Marty Myers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging problems

I am having problems with my car just up and dieing while driving it. I need to know what the minium voltage is to keep these 944 running is? Since i have owned this car it seems to me that it really doesnt charge like it should. Any help would be great, is there a any replacement alternations I can install that is going to betterr and cheeper that the OEM? The more power I can get the better. Like maybe a 130 amp or so.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:41 PM
athens944
Pro

What year is your 944? I have the '83's and have changed the voltage regulator on the alternator. The brushes tend to wear down on the voltage regulator. I'm not sure if the 85.5 and laters are the same.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Marty Myers
Intermediate

mine is a 1987 944
Old 04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start the engine and put a Digital Volt Meter across the battery. You should see AT LEAST 13.8 Volts DC. If you do not get at least 13.8 volts, replace the alternator. You can get a rebuilt unit at NAPA, AutoZone or where ever.

While you are at it make sure that all of the ground points are clean and tight. Same thing goes for the connections at the alternator and the starter. The ground points are on each frame rail in the engine bay behind the head lights, under the dash near the steering column, and in the cargo area, driver side inboard of the tail light under the carpet.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty Myers
I am having problems with my car just up and dieing while driving it. I need to know what the minium voltage is to keep these 944 running is? Since i have owned this car it seems to me that it really doesnt charge like it should. Any help would be great, is there a any replacement alternations I can install that is going to betterr and cheeper that the OEM? The more power I can get the better. Like maybe a 130 amp or so.
Well, info above is kinda sketchy here. If I really thought I had a problem with the charging part of this system, I'd check all aspects of that. Grounds, baterry/starter/altenator connections, vlatage regulator, voltage input to battery while running, while not running, remove battery and have it tested, and so on.

"Car just up and dieing while driving it.", doesn't mean its because of the charging system. It could be many other things. You do know of Clark's garage.com? Been there? Haynes manual? FSM....maybe? Some time and research will probably be needed here. No one has a crystal ball.....just different experiences. Diagnoses, needs to be done on a fairly logical sequence, in order to find out what the real problem is. Let us know what you've done, and how your proceeding. Good luck!

Quick Reply: charging problems