Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help neded with tires selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Falken Ziex 512 - I had them, they resulted in me wrecking my daily beater. These had such horribly poor wet traction that I locked up my brakes going 10-15mph simply by easing on the brakes very casually (new brakes BTW, so it wasn't their fault). These are complete and utter trash! Nothing more needs to be said about them except you should avoid them like the plague!

Kumho Ecsta 711 - Eh, I have mixed feelings. These are most definitely NOT a performance tire, regardless of the "High performance Summer Tire" designation they throw around. These have very poor overall traction in the wet or dry. Treadwear actually kind of sucked, surprisingly. You would think a less grippy tire would get better treadwear, but alas these did not. The one thing I found fun about them is they were very progressive when braking away, and coupled with the lack of traction it made my 951 very fun to throw/slide around. Overall I really would not recommend these because for a few dollars more you can do so much better.

Kumho MX - It's the one Kumho tire worth a damn. It may not be the best but, for the price it offers quite a bit of overall grip and performance.

Bridgestone Potenza Re750 - These are supposed to be pretty comparable to the Es100's, so I'd highly recommend these OR the Es100's. I've been surprised with these Potenza's. They have a 340 treadwear, which would immediately make you think they have no grip. These are actually pretty grippy, though they are not in the same ballpark as something like a S03 or T/A KD. I've put about 35k miles on these, and only within the last ~6k miles have they really started to show signs of hardening up and lacking grip. They still have quite a bit of tread and could technically last awhile longer. These have decent wet traction and overall traction, are progressive on breakaway, and aren't too expensive. The only problem is they have crappy sizing in 15's, so you'd probably be better off with an Es100
Old 05-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

I still say the Sumitomo's if you can find your size. The HTR + was a great tire for the money. I also love the BFG KDW2, but are much more money then the Sumi's.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

951North,

"Perhaps you are refering to the force of friction increasing for a smaller contact patch givin the normal force is increasing per unit area"

You are correct, I used the wrong terminology.

I am currently using set of Khumo Ecstas. A decent all around tire, but I don't push them hard. Decent wet and dry traction and tread wear or road noise really isnt an issue. I will say they sucked in the snow.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for your input. I bought BFG g-force sport in size 225-50 r15 (instead of the original 215 60 r15). Thanks to Scott for pointing me in this direction. I didn't buy Yokohama AVS ES100, because it has worse tread life (according to TireRack reviews), and supposedly looses lots of grip in the second summer.
I've had it on only for a couple of days, but the first impression is very possitive. Especially lateral g feels much beter than my previous Bridgestone Potenza RE950 (all-season tire), but this might be partially due to a better tire size. I can't wait to test it in autox...
cheers, Stan
Old 06-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stan, was the RE950 the 215/60R15? If so it is H rated so you dropped down the aspect ratio by a large margin and went up in speed rating, they should be MUCH more responsive.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan944
Thanks guys for your input. I bought BFG g-force sport in size 225-50 r15 (instead of the original 215 60 r15). Thanks to Scott for pointing me in this direction. I didn't buy Yokohama AVS ES100, because it has worse tread life (according to TireRack reviews), and supposedly looses lots of grip in the second summer.
I've had it on only for a couple of days, but the first impression is very possitive. Especially lateral g feels much beter than my previous Bridgestone Potenza RE950 (all-season tire), but this might be partially due to a better tire size. I can't wait to test it in autox...
cheers, Stan
Yep - mine arrived yesterday. I will likely try mounting them on my lunch breaks over the next couple of days. I have had company cars for about two weeks so far. So I'm moving tools and tires around from home to work. It's nice having a complete shop in back to get the real "engineering" done.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt H
Stan, was the RE950 the 215/60R15? If so it is H rated so you dropped down the aspect ratio by a large margin and went up in speed rating, they should be MUCH more responsive.
Exactly. It feels great on the street, but I don't have a good way of testing before an autox.
And it looks better in this size. It may not be the most important factor, but it's a nice bonus.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Pics?

I may be looking in another year or two, so I've been keeping track of suggestions
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Pics?

I may be looking in another year or two, so I've been keeping track of suggestions
My camera broke down recently... Tires? or a camera? It was easy to choose
Old 06-09-2006, 02:45 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan944
My camera broke down recently... Tires? or a camera? It was easy to choose
I hear you, bro'

If we wanted to have extra money, we wouldn't have got these cars

Last edited by alordofchaos; 06-09-2006 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I can't quote right!

Quick Reply: Help neded with tires selection