Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help neded with tires selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gramps47
As a quick followup....if you're running 15x7 rims, DEFINITELY junk the 215x60x15 size and upgrade to 225x50x15. Much better performance.
Yes, 15x7 cookie cutter.
I'm glad to hear this! I know the theory, so it should work as you're saying, but I never knew how much better it would be in real life.

But I still can't decide. Some of your opinions are contradictory. It probably means that whatever I chose out of the models mentioned, it would be similar.

Keep in mind that I'm willing to sacrafice wet handling: I'll mount back the winter tires in the fall, and for the occasional rainy days I can just drive a little slower.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gramps47
. Also, do yourself a favor for improved handling, get a good front end alignment with about 2+ deg of negative camber. And enjoy your car!!
Can't do it. autox rules for my street class prohibit me from going outside of the factory range. -0.5 deg camber at the front is the "most extreme" I can do. But I actually noticed a diference in the understering/oversteering balance upon changing from 0 deg to -05. deg.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Gramps47
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So stock it is...if you ever upgrade to a prepared class with r-compound tires, your turn in will be absolutely incredible with the 2deg negative camber. My 944 on track tires turn like my wifes Boxster and sticks, sticks, sticks....
Old 04-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

Smaller sidewalls will decrease the "slip angle" in corners which slightly increases the speed at which your tires begin to "slide". Also, smaller sidewalls slightly increase acceleration becuase it requires less torque to turn a wheel and tire of the same width but lower profile. Obviously, you will lose some streetablitiy or comfort with these tires becuase the suspension will now have to compensate for disturbances normally absorbed by the tire.

As far as width, the wider the contact area (for dry conditions) the better traction you will get. Basically it takes a larger lateral force to break the tires loose in cornering and more torque in straight line accelerations. Most physics problems see an increase in weight and porportionally decreased surface area to increase the frictional force. With rubber, the inverse is true. It's a trade off though, because the wider the tire the more torque is need to turn it, decreasing acceleration.

One last bit is top speed based on tires, a larger diameter tire will enable a larger top speed. This occurs simply because the tire turns less times at a set speed then a smaller tire, therefore at a set rpm the larger tire will spin the same amount as a smaller tire but will displace more, increasing speed. Essentially your tires are another gear ratio between the differential and the road. Again, this is dependent on the engines power and torque.

Last edited by Sam I am; 05-12-2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: correct terminology
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by amishman66
-SNIP- Most physics problems see an increase in weight and porportionally decreased surface area to increase the coefficient of friction. With rubber, the inverse is true. -SNIP-.
Huh? I was following up to there... The co-efficent of friction isn't going to change that's a physical property of the two materials in contact and it's dimensionless hence the prefex co-efficient....

Perhaps you are refering to the force of friction increasing for a smaller contact patch givin the normal force is increasing per unit area? Typically this is why snow tires are narrower letting them bite through the snow rather than floating, also aquaplaning resistance is similar. This is inpart why I'm finding it hard to find a great dry weather tire that isn't compromising for wet weather "performance" there is just too many tires out there with a high percentage of void area (aka aqua channels)...

Can anybody help me with that?

My first choice isn't available untill July (There're still in Korea)... edit: woohoo there here! Hankook RS2 Z212's
Criteria: Stock fittment 225/50/16 & 205/55/16
Minimum "V" rated Perferable w,y,z..
Treadware less than 280
not compromised for wet weather.
Price ~130 or so...

Jason

Last edited by 951North; 05-12-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

i had a set of bridgestone potenzas on my 86 944, i just bought some bfg's radial t/a and they seem ok, the car rides alot better and seems to corner pretty good, i was looking at the yokohama av somethings. my bfg's have a 70,000 treadlige gaurentee. im more used to buying oversized truck tires.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan944
I wanted to mount the summer tires for daily driving, and the guy refused based on the wear.
So I'm thinking of getting a new set, for summer only (I have separate winter tires). I have only one set of rims.
My preferences:
1) cheap
2) as good traction/cornering ability for dry; better or not worse in the summer than my last set (all season) Bridgestone Potenza RE950. I do occasional autox, but don't expect r-compound performance.
3) decent tread life;
4) fair performance in the rain

I was looking at Tire Rack, and they have a few in my size (215/60 15) around $50 ea. Reviews are mixed / not-a-clear-winner on all these models:

Any comments on:
- Sumitomo HTR200 (high performance summer)
- Kumho ECSTA ASX (ultra high perf. all-season) - would have to be narrower: 205/60 VR15
- Kumho ECSTA 711 (high perf. summer) - would have to be wider: 225/50 15.
- Falken ZIEX ZE-512 (all season performance)
- other suggestions?

I think ECSTA 711 might be the best choice for performance, especially that it would have to be aspect ratio 50. The only drawback is the speedo willl be off. And also might be a problem while selling - who knows what happens to me in a year?

Thanks guys.
Stan - forget about the tires you list above. Start looking at the following at TireRack.com

BFG g-Force Sport
Fuzion ZRi (may not be available in the size you want)
Yokohama AVS ES100

If you can spend more money and want better dry traction the BFG KD is a good choice.

I recommend 225/50R15. 215/60R15 is a joke on these cars.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

I was out of town for a few days. And still haven't bought anything. Yokohama AVS ES100 was mentioned earlier, so it sounds like it might be a good option.
yeah, 225/50R15 is what several people have advised me. Cornering ability means to me much more than the speedometer being off. Or I'll get one of those gears to correct it. In any case, I hope this size won't reduce the precious (to me) feedback of the manual steering?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend of mine has Marshal Matrac TX tires on his 300ZXT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-N...spagenameZWD1V) and loves them. They make for a great street tire and aren't super harsh. Good in the rain too. Made by Kumho.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

I vote for the Yokohama AVS ES 100s. If price is any consideration they are hard to beat overall.
I am on my second set.

Lou
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stan944
I was out of town for a few days. And still haven't bought anything. Yokohama AVS ES100 was mentioned earlier, so it sounds like it might be a good option.
yeah, 225/50R15 is what several people have advised me. Cornering ability means to me much more than the speedometer being off. Or I'll get one of those gears to correct it. In any case, I hope this size won't reduce the precious (to me) feedback of the manual steering?
You shouldn't notice a difference in the steering feel. That's all suspension and steering geometry. I'm running 225/55-15 S-03's on my car with a manual rack and its great.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Gramps47
Intermediate

I have done more research on tires than is actually healthy. Information overload! That being said, if you want inexpensive, dry handling, decent treadwear, etc....get the Yoko ES 100's. And buy them in 225x50x15's if you are running at least 7" rims. If you have more money, then Falken Azenis or Bridgestone SO3'S (which are actually pretty reasonable through Firestone if you can get them). Good luck and remember "slow in...fast out"!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 AM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by lleroyb
I vote for the Yokohama AVS ES 100s. If price is any consideration they are hard to beat overall.
I am on my second set.

Lou
The repair shop that I go to (they are not a Porsche dealer, they repair and also races Porsches) said that the Yokohama AVS ES 100s get very noisy when they get some wear on them. What has your experience been with them? I would guess that you liked them if you bought a 2nd set.

I am looking for street not track tires I have an old set that came with the car and are probably past due for a change. They are Pirelli P500 that are on the car now.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. It sounds like Yoko AVS ES100 are great. I checked some pages on TireRack, and BFG g-Force Sport appear equally good, although there is no direct comparison.
Scott, you are the only one here that recommended the BFG. Which of the two are a better choice for summer street + autox? Noise is not an issue to me,
Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 AM
nineeagles
Pro

I am using a set of Khumo ecstas and I like them, but I don't drive very aggresively very often. They work for me (they came with a set of brand new cup 2 17" wheels). When I wear them out I may go with something better. All this falken talk about falken tires has me falken confused

Quick Reply: Help neded with tires selection