Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard left + accelleration = grinding noise (sometimes)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why Rennlist is great. Learn something new every day. Thanks Oddjob!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simple test to see if the front wheel bearings are shot is this:

1. Jack up the car so the front wheel is off the ground.
2. Put your finger on the spring behind the wheel.
3. Turn the wheel with your other hand.

If you feel a vibration on the spring, then your wheel bearings are going or already bad. (Check both sides of the car - if one wheel bearing is bad, you should feel the difference)

The way our front wheel bearings are designed is that they keep the grease in. However, since they aren't a 'sealed' unit, water can work its way into the bearings. Driving through floods, or even going to a car wash and having the underbody "water blast" can result in water working its way into the bearing. Last year, I replaced my front wheel bearings due to a vibration I felt through the steering wheel when turing left - you could see rust on the racers, especially on the right side.

If dirt, sand, debris work their way into the CV joint, it can cause the bearings to score the outer shell of the CV, or it can even cause the cage to break. As pointed out above, heat can also cause the grease to deteriorate and make a CV joint go bad. This occurs more often on the driver inner CV due to the location of the exhaust right above the CV.

Bear wheel bearings and CV joints can result in loss of control of your car. If there's a problem, don't delay in getting it looked at or replaced.

As you may have guessed, I've BTDT a couple of times with these components.
-Z.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Does your S2 have the turbo transmission oil cooler loop?
If not, ignore all this.

If so, then its possible for highway [or racetrack] debris to bend the rear section of the loop into near contact with the bodywork. There's not much clearance to being with, so it does not take much of a hit. Happened to me on track, and sounded so bad in every hard left corner that I hit the pits to find out what had broken!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:37 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Sometimes, when making a sharp left, and hitting the gas, I get a grinding, vibration type noise--I think from the right rear. Doesn't happen all the time though.

Could it be CV joints? Or something else?
I had that exact problem with my S2. Turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger. Cost me a bit over $100 (parts & labor) to repiar.

Karl.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:38 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Glynn
I had that exact problem with my S2. Turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger. Cost me a bit over $100 (parts & labor) to repiar.

Karl.
I was complaining about driveline grinding noises. My mechanic went over all the heat shields and exhaust...you would think he would spot a broken exhaust hanger? I'll have to check when I have my car on stands to do my rotors. If you want something done right....
Old 04-14-2006, 08:30 AM
tomrc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My exhaust was vibrating on the rear sway bar during acceleration and hard turns. Drove me nuts since I had just done the rear wheel bearings. A friend pointed out that he saw paint rubbing off the sway bar near where the exhaust goes over it. I loosened all the bolts on the exhaust and re-adjusted it, tightened everything up and no more noise.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I have something like this on my 1990 S2 but it's more of a shake, like the car is driving over railroad tracks. Usually I feel it when turning left and giving it a good bit of throttle. No tire rubbing.

Any ideas? Binding CV joint?
-Joel.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:52 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

when you have the rear of the car up off the ground, before you remove the wheels, grap the tire at the top and bottom and compare it side to side, more play could be the wheel bearing. failing bearing also change the way the rotor orients to the caliper and can score the rotor, which is another tip off. I have had this same failure 3 times before I got it fixed right.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The possibilities are endless! For all I know, it could be the rear hatch, flexing during a turn, and rattling in a strange way.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

No rear hatch :-) Cabriolet.

I'll, um, 'run some more tests.'

-Joel.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:40 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

So we are all in the same boat, and highway speeds(50-70 MPH) I hear a griding noise like a bearing going out, but it only does it under load(Anytime I have my foot on the gas) if I let off the gas it goes away, At first I though it was the new rebuilt waterpump I put in but I didn't hear it at idle or below 50MPH. I guess i find out what it is tommorrow. when I do the exhaust

Brandon
Old 04-15-2006, 05:16 PM
AZS2
Racer

I have the exact same problem in my S2. Hard left on the gas, sounds like a tire rubbing. I've never been able to pinpoint the location, but it seems like the right rear also.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Justin S2
Instructor

I have had this problem since last June. Grinding/vibration sound at 1500RPM and 2800-3200RPM. It sounds like the exhaust but I removed it this year when I pulled the engine and rebuilt the Torque Tube. Maybe something isn't quite aligned on the exhaust system properly? I somehow doubt it would be the wheel bearings because it is not speed specific (ONLY RPM) and I also repacked my CV Joints last year. Has anyone had this problem and successfully solved it?

Quick Reply: Hard left + accelleration = grinding noise (sometimes)?