Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who was making those roll bars for our cars???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

sub belt/lap belt... this has been solved for already.

Run 6 points.

The lap belts mount to the inboard belt mount on the seat and the outboard belt mount on the body

The sub belt ends mount to the same points and route under and up between the thighs to the buckle. So you end up with your pelvis strapped in like a parachute harness.

Routing over the front of the seat will locate the lap belt relatively correct but doesn't control pelvis motion well. The lap belt may not move but your body may move in relation to it.

Not as good as running a proper race seat with the proper holes but as good as it gets for a stock seat.

Do a search. There's a thread, pages long, discussing this.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I really need is to go buy a second 944 and strip it down like ive always wanted and throw in two race seats. HAHA, i just can't bear to do that to my current one!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:32 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

The beauty of my 924S is that it will require a complete interioir overhaul. Sparco seats, with 6pt belts (and stock belts for the fuzz) and a roll bar w/rear seat delete. 6pt belts and a true racing seat is THE way to go in order to not compromise safety, at least for DE or auto-x. Thanks for the rollbar link... seriously considering it as an option.

Last edited by 924Superwagen; 04-10-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just laid into my 87 N/A tonite... I have been back and forth on the thing...bought it for DE but the interior is too perfect... everything was there and in good shape for the most part. But at the end of the day, it's not rare or expensive, so I'm gonna destroy it to build a new toy.

Thanks for posting this thread though... exactly the product I was looking for. Not needing a full race cage just yet, but definitely want something more solid for track use. I'll be placing my order very soon.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:56 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Get your order in early, they are all hand built and there is a waiting period from what I hear! They are worth it. I've seen them in person. Awesome build quality.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

their nice looking, but not legal by sanctioned racing. The quality of the Autopower is not quite as nice, but it is legal by sanctioning bodies. I know the autopower design will work, I'm not so sure on the redline... Its theory.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Redlineman is a cool dude and for the street or auto-x that bar is the stuff.

The bar is top quality and it looks SMOKIN hot in a red car (Sam's comes to mind).

It is my opinion that if you are racing you need a cage (and I think virtually every santioning body on earth would agree). If you are doing DEs regularly I am not sure I would want a bolt in bar. Before someone tells me that DEs are totally safe I can pull out a video of an M3 going upside down about 12 times, pictures of a 911SC that was t-boned and the driver lifeflighted, or even accounts of a death at MSR less than a few months ago. Driving a car at high speed on a track is dangerous.

That is said with the keep your purpose in mind gesture. John makes some of the most amazing cages I have ever seen, he knows safety equipment. I also trust 100% that if he didnt think the bar would protect you then he wouldnt be making them. I just have visions of the chassis collapsing around a perfectly in tact bar
Old 04-11-2006, 10:10 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I am demanding pics on this.

For emergency situations only. I had to hold the strap when we'd turn so as not to snap the mirror off.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

I just put a redlineman roll bar in my car. I got a previously owned one (used is such a harsh term when it comes to safety equipment and condoms).

I took the top of the rear seat off - two 10mm bolts and to install the bar removed the front seat belt anchors and the sunroof. I dont know if others had this problem but the factory bolts seem a little small. For those that bought the bar new, did you use the factory bolts, or did John supply new bolts?

I cannot see anyone using the rear seat with the bar there so I did not reinstall the seat belts.

If someone is doing the job soon i suggest you put some tape on the b pilar vinyl to protect it while you maneuver.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:44 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by VaSteve
This "company" is Redlineman here on Rennlist. He has photos on his website of a car smacked in the back with one of these bars.

It's a good product. I wish all the installs to my 944 were as easy....Though I cut my finger on the packaging. But that's just me.

FWIW, you can also tow your car by the rollbar. Ask me how I know.
But it is a roll bar not a smack my rear bar
Old 04-11-2006, 11:14 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
For those that bought the bar new, did you use the factory bolts, or did John supply new bolts?
John provides both the bolts, and the spacers (washers) that fit between the bar and the body, when buying a new bar from him.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Is there any problem using stock seats with 6-point belts?? That probably should have been my first question!
Besides the risk of having the harness bars slip off your shoulders, PCA national is currently recommending to all regions that if harnesses are used, the proper racing type seats with pass-throughs for the harnesses be used as well in a DE event.

Oh, and another rule that you need to be aware of is that rollbar sections where the helmet may come in contact with in the event of an accident must be covered with closed-cell foam padding. (Soft pipe-covering from Home Depot isn't legit!)

My region (NNJR) as well as many other regions are no longer allowing stock seats to be used in conjunction with harnesses. If you plan to use harnesses at a DE event, you need to also have a harness bar and racing seats with the pass-throughs for the shoulder harnesses. (Side note: for dual purpose track/street cars, you need to retain your stock seat belts since most harnesses are not DOT approved.)

Blue S2: if you take out your stock seats, you will notice that the inner seat belt anchor point is attached to the seat itself. As stated before, you can poke a hole through your center tunnel, or buy an adapter that will 'create' a point where you can install your inner lap belt and inner three-point clipin thingy. Brey Krause has such a unit, but IMHO, it's not the best option, IMHO. Stable Energies (www.stable-energies.com) sells a kit - it is essentially a square that bolts to the floor with a L-bracket on the inside to mount your inner seat belt/lap belt. You get special seat rails that attach to this square and your seat. A very elegant solution, IMHO.

Sounds more complicated that it really is.

-Z-man.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
John provides both the bolts, and the spacers (washers) that fit between the bar and the body, when buying a new bar from him.
AARRRRGH!!! I had a feeling. I sent him a PM earlier today.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:46 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom R.
AARRRRGH!!! I had a feeling. I sent him a PM earlier today.

IIRC all seatbealt bolts are of a standard pitch you can find at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z-man

Blue S2: if you take out your stock seats, you will notice that the inner seat belt anchor point is attached to the seat itself. As stated before, you can poke a hole through your center tunnel, or buy an adapter that will 'create' a point where you can install your inner lap belt and inner three-point clipin thingy. Brey Krause has such a unit, but IMHO, it's not the best option, IMHO. Stable Energies (www.stable-energies.com) sells a kit - it is essentially a square that bolts to the floor with a L-bracket on the inside to mount your inner seat belt/lap belt. You get special seat rails that attach to this square and your seat. A very elegant solution, IMHO.

Drilled through the tunnel. On the back is a plate that is jammed up against the bracket inside the tunnel so it can't turn.

I initially had the lap part clipped to the eye on this set up. I didn't like that you could ever so slightly lever the eye by pulling on it. I took the eye out and mounted the inboard side of the lap belt through under the eye (sandwiched between the eye and the factory belt).

Quick Reply: Who was making those roll bars for our cars???