Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:13 AM
sbyrne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view mirror removal

The location of the rear view mirror in my '84 is driving me crazy - right smack in the middle of my field of view during a right turn. Especially annoying during autocrossing. The mirror appears to be mounted to a seperate piece, which is attached to the windshield. I would like to remove the stock mirror and install a modern "double jointed" version that could be adjusted up out of my way. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:19 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

The mirror slides up and off of the mount. I don't recall that there was a set screw or anything holding it on, just a tight fit.
To get the mount plate off the windshield is another matter. I don't exactly remember how it came off - it was some time ago. I remember using a razor scraper to try to get under it, but I think it popped off when I tried twisting it. That makes sense because cyanoacrylite adhesives (crazy glue) are not very good in shear. I do remember being very hesitant about the process for fear of breaking the windshield.

I replaced mine because the mirror backing was starting to come off around the edges and it looked bad. I bought a generic replacement for like $15 and it's been fine. It's simmilar enough to the OEM that you wouldn't know the difference.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been trying to figure this out as well. It figures when I don't want the thing to fall off it does, but now that I want to remove it it won't budge. I've tried the twist method with no luck, but haven't really forced the issue for fear the the glass will break.

Stupid PO glued it onto the wrong spot at some point and stupid me has been gluing it back in the same place.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:41 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When my windshield broke, the glass shop put the mirror on the new windshield way too high. They weren't able to remove the mount from the glass, so I sure as heck wasn't going to try. I simply got a replacement mount ($2 Hershey swap meet last April) and mounted it where it should have been placed. Yes, there's now an extra mount stuck to the windshield, but the mirror hides it anyway so I don't really care.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:51 AM
sbyrne
Racer

Don't care so much about the mount, just want the mirror off so I can replace it. So, lift straight up? Nothing to loosen first?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, maybe wiggle it a little.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mirror itself has a tab that slides down into a spring loaded glass mount fitting. IF your not careful durring removal, you can break that tab off the mirror assy. and render it totally useless.

Normally, a quick pop with your hand on the mirror base in a upward motion will remove it. Sometimes NOT. Then I would suggest a short, flat bladed screwdriver, that is WELL positioned, and struck with your HAND, from below. This should remove it fairly easily.......most the time. If your not so lucky, you may have to go to a FLAPS and buy a rear-view mirror adhesive kit (cheap!) and re-attach the mount to the windshield. Follow the directions on that kit, to the T. You could also place it wherever you'd like this way. Wish I had a picture to show ya the mirror's tab. I don
't

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror removal