Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Rear sway bar adjustment..

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 968 Rear sway bar adjustment..

Yay, so I'm finally upgrading my suspension (nothing too big.. springs, torsion bars, and sway bars), after months and months of thinking about doing it. I'll post pics and info in a thread I started way back in september once I do the install.

Anyways, the rear sway is a 19mm 3-way adjustable m030. I'm picking up all the stuff Saturday, but I'm just wondering -- Is it clear which of the three drop links to use for which desired level of stiffness? I want to try it on its least stiff setting first, and then dial it out if need be.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You've got it. Trial and error.

Shortest length (hole furthest from end of bar) = hardest setting
Longest length (hole closest to end of bar) = softest setting.

My guess is that you'll probably end up at the hardest setting after playing around with it as the bar isn't all that heavy even at full hard.

Remember to have both wheels off the ground when you change the settings or you'll drive yourself nuts drying to re-attach the bar- as it will be all loaded up by the weight of the other side of the car.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:50 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info

We shall see... I'm putting 29mm torsion bars and 250# springs on, with a 27mm front sway bar

My guess is that it'll tend towards oversteer, even with the rear sway on full soft.. Oh well that'll be my excuse for getting a 30mm front sway (or perhaps front coil overs eventuall)

This just so happened to be a good "package" deal at a good time.. So I went with it.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
tomrc
Pro

I have the m030 rear sway bar on mine but I don't have the front yet, I initially set the bar at the middle setting, however after autoX'ing that way twice I wound up with way too much rear wheel spin, so I have it at the farthest (soft) setting until I get the front bar. I yet to autoX it at this setting But I will at the end od the month and I'll be doing a DE with this setting.

But, as Matt said the best is trial and error.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I'm planning on taking it to a large abandoned parking lot late at night to do my debugging I can't wait as long as the next autocross to get it balanced.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch out for light poles. ;-)

If I can make a recommendation - if you're going to go through the hassles of doing the t-bars, find the cash to get rear coilovers and grind or cut the coilovers. Not only will you be able to pick and choose spring rates and set ride heights, you'll save all the headaches of balancing the car and having to swap out the bars (again) when you decide that you really need 400 lb springs up front which are quite streetable.

Matt
Old 04-07-2006, 01:50 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip the trial and error, go directly to the hardest setting.

Quick Reply: 968 Rear sway bar adjustment..