Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started Clutch project... question on sensors removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started Clutch project... question on sensors removal

Well, started the project of replacing the clutch in my 944 this weekend. I plan on it taking two weekends and a little time at night during the week. Doing all the preliminary stuff ahead of time and then the heavy lifting this coming weekend.

Following the instructions from Clarks Garage and so far so good. Unbelievably, despite looking like they were going to be a nightmare, the 6 bolts for the exhaust at the header came off with little fight. So got the system removed, the clamps to the torque tube, battery removed (its dead and will be replaced).

Question is when it comes to the speed and reference sensors.... I had lots of help so far from my small handed friend, 9444Alexis and she started tackling the sensors. I'm not sure who they are kidding on the instructions on Clarks Garage for the removal or how in the world they took this picture, but it was a fight to get the frst sensor removed. The second 9rearward) sensor is tucked up below the firewall, no room for hands, ratchets or wrenches.... HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU REMOVE THIS SENSOR? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
daniel951
Race Car

if i remember right u can get a smaller ratchet in there and take them off.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:13 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i took off the whole bracket, but to do that, the bell housing has to be loosened and slid back a smidgen to get the sensors to clear
Old 04-03-2006, 12:19 PM
BlueDog944
Pro

Originally Posted by wizkid918
i took off the whole bracket, but to do that, the bell housing has to be loosened and slid back a smidgen to get the sensors to clear
So I take it you did that after removing the torque tube? Following the instructions this needs to be done before revmoving the rear end and tube.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

torque tube can be removed before. sensors dont attach to anything down there going to the rear end, so the order can be changed a little. its setup so you arent climbing out from under the car a dozen times.

my whole engine was out though so i had very easy access, but the housing only needed to move 3/4" to make enough clearance for the sensor bracket
Old 04-03-2006, 04:17 PM
2bridges
Drifting

As I recall I talked dirty to it
I believe I also removed the heater valvle and htr hoses and gained access from the top
Old 04-03-2006, 05:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray orange foamy engine cleaner down on it, that softens the O-Ring and it comes out easier. Give it about 10 mins then just reach down and twist it gently while pulling gently, and itll work its way out.

Theyre not that hard to get to with the intake manifold off, at least on Turbos.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
MY83944
Racer

Take the bolts out the top and pull the sensors straight up and out. You do not need to unbolt the bracket, in fact, best if you do not as it saves you from having to re-align it.

Take them out prior to trying to remove the bellhousing.

I used a long 1/4 extension with a wobble joint, piece of cake. Factory is an allen head, looks like your have been replaced.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
MY83944
Racer

Hey - what is that sensor to the left in that picture, unmarked - Mine did not have that one -
Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MY83944
Hey - what is that sensor to the left in that picture, unmarked - Mine did not have that one -
i believe its used for diagnostics, it goes up and clips on a spot where the rear engine hook is and just has a cap over a little round plug. i think only later cars have it
Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TDC sensor.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU REMOVE THIS SENSOR?"

Anyway you can. Depending on your selection of tools and such, of course. Your changing the clutch anyway, sooooooo.......I wouldn't worry to much about spraying to much PB Blaster down there to help loosen those bolts, and loosen corrosion between the sensor and bracket. Like what was said above........twist, and pull..........carefully! OR.....if it really is stuck in there........you'll be buying a new sensor also. Watch out for the amp connectors and wires along the way to these sensors..........their brittle with age. Mark their connections relationship well also. Watch for a spacer/ring under one of the sensors, when you remove them (depending on what year car), and don't forget to put it back when re-installing, AFTER the other has been correctly set for gap.
I've used, PB blaster(a little goes a long way here, giving a little time), 1/4" sockets, wobbler extensions, and/or spring type extensions to remove these little devils ( some are hex head bolts, some are allen head bolts). Get creative with what ya got. NO. I'm not an expert. I DO have a ton of different types of tools at my disposal here. I've been collecting tools for over 30 years. I'm getting closer to making most jobs easier. Someday, maybe, I can just get everything to "jump" in/and back into place!

I still think (in MY situation....dropping the engine out completely), is easier to do a clutch job, than going this route. Butt........thats me, not you. Good luck!!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:12 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

Thanks for all the tips. Didn't even think of a wobble extension Don't know how I missed that. Once we got the bolt out of the first sensor it came out without a fight. The big problem was getting access to the other bolt.

Granite - Yeah, if I had the garage space I think pulling the motor would be my choice. I could take care of a few oil leaks at the same time. Bad part is I don't have a garage to work in. When my wife and I built this house two years ago the budget for the garage got eaten up by vairous things the county was giving us the run around on... long story short... I'm performing this clutch job in a gravel driveway in my backyard. (I did think enough to put down some heavy rubber stall mats first though!) Might have pictures of my redneck set up soon .
Old 04-04-2006, 01:58 PM
9444Alexis
Banned Pirate Queen
Lifetime Rennlist

As the helper: I did talk VERY dirty to it. I questioned it's heritage, it's relationship with it's mother and other thoughts.........

The sensor is in there at such an angle that the wobble extension <I thought of it at the time> wouldn't have enough vertical attitude to work.....if that makes any sense. We'll acquire it and give it a shot, any other removal thoughts beside a prybar? There is almost no room to get the socket seated either......it was a challenge for me to get in there and my left lung may still have "Porsche" stamped on it :-) The screw on the sensor is almost unreachable.....
Old 04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
MY83944
Racer

Remember, it only took me what, 4 months to change my clutch . . .

You think the sensor bolts are a pain, there is a chance you may run into a few more of these "opportunities".

Remember, time and effort, anything is possible.

Quick Reply: Started Clutch project... question on sensors removal