Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant hose clamp replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant hose clamp replacements

Anyone know the exact sizes of clamps i need to get..? I think its going to be one 2-inch clamp for the lower hose to waterpump and three (in my case 5) 1-inch clamps for my upper coolant hose (and lower to radiator). Is this correct? I am probably going to order them online or possibly try a few of the independent boating type stores in my area.

I am trying to chase down a very annoying, very slow coolant leak. My coolant level drops from about the 1/2 way mark between the max and minimum marks on the overflow tank to just above the minimum mark after about 100 miles of driving

I noticed that my coolant hoses 'walked' off the waterpump and on my upper coolant hose splice for my temp sensor. I had this problem on my lower radiator hose last november causing the hose to get chewed up by the PS pulley. Anyway i figure the clamps are old and i should replace these before they let a coolant hose blow off completley. I was going to go with T-bolt clamps..but could not find the sizes i need locally..everything they had was a little to big.(at West Marine, a chain boating store). Is this advisable to do (go with t-bolt clamps)?

I am also going to change the small coolant line that runs from the top of the waterpump to the coolant pipe..its gotten a little beatup from taking the oil filter out and the rubber covering is starting to peel...i HOPE this stops the coolant loss, otherwise i think it might be the pump leaking against the block..which is going to be a PITA to retighten...makes me wish i didnt put the belt covers back on!

Am i crazy and doing some overkill, maybe i should just get the OE clamps...

Last edited by Techno Duck; 03-26-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my view of it. Hose clamps are hose clamps. Some better than others of course, butt, as far as usability. Will it really matter? Not really. Are your existing ones really THAT bad? ( or are the hose ends wore in so bad, they can't tighten properly anymore?) I doubt that your clamps are unusable. At least nothing that a little PB blaster, and cleaning wont take care of, most the time.

Sizes of these clamps? I don't know. I can't handle keeping that info in my head with all the other stuff that takes priority over it. (I'm getting old........ya know.

As far as those pesky leaks. A coolant pressure tester, used wisely, will most likely unveil your little leakage problems. My coolant levels in my cars, run normally 1/2 way between the max and min levels..........no matter what I do. If I give it more, it spits it out. Butt.......its slightly different on each of my cars (one does run "normally", at just above the min. mark, butt, won't drop further). I DO have a coolant pressure tester. One of my more favorite tools to have.

Hoses, "walking" off the waterpump?.....Hmmm.......Don't know about that. Sounds like a bad hose, or to small of a clamp in the first place, that can't tighten properly. Or.........you just need to make sure you eat your Wheaties before you go tighten those clamps up. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Broke down and ordered the OE hoses plus the tiny hose that is a little damaged from Pelican. Was going to do the t-bolts...but at $6 a pop it gets expensive quickly when you need 7 clamps (yes i know thats two more than your supposed to have).

BTW, dont you love paying $16 for shipping on $20 in parts? Order needs to ship in two parts......DOH!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

McMaster Carr has them.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:43 AM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the hoses sitting in front of me (because I am replacing all of them along with the radiator tomorrow) and I am looking up the numbers on the online PET as I type this. I also have the official PET CD that I bought from Porsche. It looks like the sizes are the same for my 84 as they are for your car. I assume it’s for the 87 944 in your sig. The part numbers are slightly different between the years but the clamps are listed as the same size.

The clamps can be purchased at any decent auto parts store. The hose at the water pump measures about 2-7/8” across. And the PET lists it as a 60-80mm clamp. The other 3 clamps are listed as 32-50mm. And the hose measures about 1-3/4” across.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:49 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

TheMAXX, i had the part numbers already for the clamps, but didnt realize the numbers in PET are the clamping range of the clamps in MM's. I ended up ordering all the OE clamps through Pelican.

I really hope my small leak is from that tiny hose. If not, ill have to live with it until i change the belts again.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your hose clamp is either too big or you are not torquing it down enough. Use a rachet and a worm clamp (approx. 2 inches diameter). Screwdrivers will not allow you to tighten enough. As long as the clamp surface is flush with the rest of the hose surface, you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Coolant hose clamp replacements