Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission locked up in 3rd gear...won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006 | 11:53 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

I too have had many trannys apart . Though I have not witnessed any washers under the shift dogs . I also cannot give the ok to crashing the hell out of your gears but at the same time won't say it may or may not unstick it . If the problem isn't in the linkage .Take it out . Take it apart . How much fluid is in this thing . How much can you afford to put into it ? How much can you buy a good used one for ? All good things to think about .
Old 03-29-2006 | 11:57 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

I know that the pins and ***** that are in the shift rods in the cast iron part of the housing are refered to as detents , But wasn't aware that the 3 blocks on each slider were refered to detents also . Interesting
Old 03-30-2006 | 12:39 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Yeah, this is taboo for good mechanics. But, if they are truly already in need of replacement, then why not.

Just crawl under the back with a 1/4'' inch drive ratchet, extension and 10mm socket and take out the bolt that holds the linkage rod to the shifter linkage and see if it the shift **** will move around. If it does, put it all back together.

did u hit it on it's top (like on the gear #'s) directly down? or did u slam it as if pulling it out of 3rd gear? haha i can't believe i'm asking this...
Shock it. Not slow force but one big shock. Thats what I did.

I have a NA tranny.
I was absolutely furious at the thought of buying ANOTHER tranny and with my powers combined...hit it downward/back ONCE. You might do well to take off the circlip and remove the shift rod from the shifter and use a hammer (OMG, I cant believe I just said that...nevermind). If you cant hit it a few times and get it to pop outta gear, take the tranny down and loosed the "screw plug" (#13 in the Porsche PET catalog on page 131...if you need a copy, drop me an email and ill send it over) and that has to work.

oh also when i shuv the shifter forward, it feels as if it's hitting a piece of metal, defintaltly not like normal where it just kinda cushins it if you are pushing it forward...i hope that made sence.
Mine feels like it hits metal when going upward in 3rd too. Im not sure I understand.

Jim above is absolutely right though. Take it down if one or two shocks doesnt work.
Old 03-30-2006 | 01:12 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

jim, good question about the fluid. to tell you the truth i have not done anything with the transmission since i've had it, i've put on about 20k miles and have no idea when the PO had the fluid changed/checked.

LT1, i'll try the "shock" meathod if nobody has any objections tomarrow. maybe that will get to it. and about the shifter acting as if it is hitting metal, well yanno normally when you shift into any gear it just gets cradled into that gear, the shifter feels af if its not getting cradled anymore, but rather ubruptly stops agains something hard. its hard to explain and if you/no1 understands dont worry...lol
Old 03-30-2006 | 01:20 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Well after you hit it , if that doesn't work then we'll talk you through some stuff. But have it out on the ground then . And, I probably won't be on-line until sunday evening . I'll be at road atlanta . I'll ck in when I get back . Don't let this turn into a beat the tranny until it shifts party . Kirk , I'm holding you responsible .
Old 03-30-2006 | 01:43 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

haha, yes sir. all within reason i promise.

also if it doesn't work i'll try to have the trans out this weekend, i hope i'll have enough time because i have to put the new power steering rack back into the 944 first so i can have reliable transportation and i'll bring the 924S trans back up with me to college. haha there's a lot going on this weekend, we'll see how far i get! thx for the help.

Quick Reply: transmission locked up in 3rd gear...won't come out