Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission locked up in 3rd gear...won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you describe this in more detail? the process to replace that part? can anyone verify this?

Last edited by mavfan; 03-27-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:43 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

a desperate bump
Old 03-27-2006, 10:37 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jim @ EuroWerks
Some of the 85/2 cars had an issue with 3rd gear sliding on the pinion shaft . Usually they would pop out of 3rd, not stick in third . Will it go into the gears or no ?
I once ran into a tranny that got stuck in gear but the shifter was still upright . Like neutral . There is a pin inside the tranny that should keep it out of other gears even if this happened .
Pull the small cover on the right with the 3 ten mm bolts holding it on . The spring loaded shaft should then push it's way out . If not give it a small tap from the left . Then look inside . The shift shafts should all be lined up if the selector was in nuetral . If one of the shafts is not lined up , put a screwdriver inside and gently push it to line up .
I know this sounds complicated just get that far and tell us what you see .
so could this pin potentially be holding the shifter stuck in 3rd gear? when i try to pull it into neutral while the car is moving it violently shakes, no bad noises, just really really shakes.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

the detents are little square blocks that are spring loaded to push upward. The shift collar has a area milled in the middle that detents sets into to hiold it in gear. if the collar overshifts, or travels too far then these detents tend come out of place. they won't go back in because they get cocked in there. The shift collar needs to come off to allow them to be reset and then reassembled.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:59 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

and you recomend replacing them? or maybe should i just see what kind of shape they are in when i get in there?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by badcoupe
the detents are little square blocks that are spring loaded to push upward. The shift collar has a area milled in the middle that detents sets into to hiold it in gear. if the collar overshifts, or travels too far then these detents tend come out of place. they won't go back in because they get cocked in there. The shift collar needs to come off to allow them to be reset and then reassembled.
does this mean that the transmission needs to be dropped? whats going to need to happen to do this?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

This is why I asked about the shifter location . The pin inside the trans . should not be causing this . I've never seen a shift dog as I call it over extended in a slider assembly as mentioned earlier . But it sounds reasonable . My last mention was hopefully the you would locate the problem in the linkage when you disconnected it to pull the tranny down .
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

yep the trans willcome apart. The reason the pin let things go too far on the one case was I believe the owner/owners had shifted it rather hard on a regular basis. It had worn the tip of the stop down enough to allow the shaft the travel too far. Probably an oddity as I've never heard of it before and most of the ones I've had out look good. On a side note I have seen different thickness washers under them and some with no washers.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:45 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

i've had the car for almost 2 years now. i am younger and for that first year i felt no remorse gunning it every once and a while, for the 2nd year i just toodled around in it and once in a very great while do i gun it. although i must say when i bought the car, the transmission always clunked when shifting into any gear, so the cv's are shot correct? car has 126k and i always guessed that the original owner liked to drive it pretty hard so that could explain the excessive wear, as my 85 944 with 115k doesn't do it NEARLY as bad.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

like i said my car wasn an 86 and it got stuck in first gear before and i pulled hardcore and it came out. But thats just me YMMV
Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

just tried the pulling hardcore theory, it didn't even gives signs of letting up. looks like i'll be dropping the trans. when it comes time for this i'll post again cuz i still have questions. i'll let you guys know what the problem was with this.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:05 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can consider this FWIW. A friend of mine bought a Fiat X-19 that was stuck in 3rd. We figured it was somehow bound up so we got it going about 35mph and then got on and off the gas very abruptly about 3 or 4 times. Seemed to work as it shifted normal after that.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

to tell you the truth i actually did try that, maybe i should have kept it up a little but i did just that thinking it might jolt something the right way, and i tried doing that and pulling it out of that gear. but no such luck obviously, thanks for the advice though
Old 03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! Hahaha Hey, this just happened to me a month ago! Exactly as you described! The car has been sitting for all that time until a week ago when a retarded idea came to me to just take the linkage off the tranny. That 10mm screw at the linkage rod. I took it off and then the rod. Screwed with the rod going into the tranny by just trying to shift it with my hand. I didnt think it did anything. Anyway, I hooked it back up and went into the pit and tried it. Nothing. So I got frustrated and slammed the shifter with my hand and BAM it snapped out of gear and now shifts. Has not happened since.

Ths is not how to do things but this time brute force worked. This is NOT how you fix things I know, but I have seen worse. I thought I would share this with you because If you went to a shop and they say they want to put new synchros in or the 3 tabs at the rear or etc., whn all they actually do is slam it like me..... Good Luck.

Also, dont hold me liable if you break something. This is just what worked for me.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

haha ok at this point i am semi interested... are you using the same trany since you have put in an LT1? and if so when you slammed the shifter, did u hit it on it's top (like on the gear #'s) directly down? or did u slam it as if pulling it out of 3rd gear? haha i can't believe i'm asking this...

oh also when i shuv the shifter forward, it feels as if it's hitting a piece of metal, defintaltly not like normal where it just kinda cushins it if you are pushing it forward...i hope that made sence.

Quick Reply: transmission locked up in 3rd gear...won't come out