Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How often do you take the sunroof all the way off your 944?
Never
16.11%
Once in a blue moon
23.89%
All the time!
22.22%
Only on really nice days
37.22%
I didn't even know they could come out
0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you take the sunroof all the way off your 944?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:33 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the time. Hell ive got pics of my car sitting next to huge snow banks in the mountains in below freezing weather with the roof off. I loved that drive, cold fresh mountain air. And ive driven with it off when its been snowing and raining. The only problem with the rain is the big plastic flip up deflector catches some water and it drips down, in this line that goes right across my legs and seats and such. Im thinking of improving the design to get rid of that gap, using a sheet of black plastic thats sealed to the deflector itself, allowing the water to run down to the drainage tray.

Ive gotten some funny comments and stuff like that
Old 03-25-2006, 12:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
man, i dont understand how taking it out could be a pain in the ***. Mine only takes what ten seconds to undo the hinges and drop the arms down, and plop it into the hatch area. Now my supra, that was a pain in the ***. IT had a targa w/ four allan bolts that held it in place w/ a factory tool to remove them. I still had that thing out every other day, some people said they never took theirs out cuz it was just too hard- but not for a DIYSer like me.
Ya the electric system is pretty well done. I wouldnt mind being able to take it out with the engine on, but oh well. Lean in, key in, push the switch, hit the latch pop button with the other hand, arms are retracted down, pop latches, lift out and put in back. Quick and easy.

Buddies MR2 t-tops are more fiddle that that, and theyre manual.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:08 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once in a blue moon, because my car hardly ever works
Old 03-25-2006, 06:32 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I have it open all the time in the summer but only remove it once in a blue moon. Mainly because I wont leave the car with the top off parked because of mainly security and also dirt/sun damage.

So unless I am just going for a ride, or on the way home from somewhere, it just stays on.

It also gets a little tiring hearing people tell me to just leave it off, park the car, and dont worry about it. I can never do it, too paranoid. Just like I never got people that have full electric opening sunroofs in their cars and in the summer just leave the roof open and go shopping blocks away.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:53 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is open most of the time, but I rarely take it off.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:17 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

i never take mine out...of course i dont have one either...
Old 03-25-2006, 07:26 PM
doyleker
Cruisin'

I always like to remove the sunroof after work on sunny days. It's a definite attitude adjuster.
Windows down, roof off, and crusin home for a beer.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

I agree with Tom. I always thought it a pain in the a$$ primarily because of the key and the fact that my rear hatch never ever really popped open on the first time. I'd cycle the switch, then I'd have to step back and push up on the hatch because it almost always caught on the locking pins.

When I did take it off though and I got to my destination, I'd simply throw the sunroof back in without latching it or messing with the key. I always got a kick out of watching the sunroof pop-up momentarily from the bump in air pressure as I shut the door. This made removing it again a snap.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Interestingly, for whatever reason, at one time I found myself wanting to remove the sunroof without yet having my keys on me. I simply put something like a paperclip in the ignition which inturn closed the circuit, energizing the switch and allowing the retraction of the sunroof arms.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love driving with the top out. I do it only in very nice weather and when i am taking a car ride the makes it worth it (at least 35 min each way). I agree with class J though i do not like to leave it parked with the roof out (sun damage, dirt and security are a problem if its parked for a good period of time). So as long as the trip is long enough, the weather is decent I try to do it whenever i can. But whenever i get to my destination the roof goes back in before i leave it.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:18 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Every sunny day above 60 or so, when I'm not in a huge rush. Sometimes some really nice nights, too. One particularly starry November night, I took the sunroof out. I like having the roof out at night, windows up, and the heat on.

Manual SR, manual hatch, automatic good time.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:34 AM
EdC
Pro

Once in two years. The car is a daily driver, except in winter, and it is too much of a hassle to put on and off. If it were garaged more or only a weekend toy I suspect I'd remove it more often.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't remember the last time I drove with the top off (more than 5 years). I get enough sun everyday in S. Ca. without the irritation of the sun beating on my head while I am driving. Around here, AC is nice.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Heat is nice too.

I can remember more than once running at night with the windows down, the roof off and the heater turned on high with the fan full blast.

My feet were burning up and my nose was numb from the cold.

Ahh. to be young and stupid again. Now, I'm just old and stupid.

I agree with Legoland on the sun though. In my older age I discovered that I get sunburn on the crown of my head where the hair got thinner for some pre-male-pattern baldness reason. So, on sunny days I just tilt the roof or opt for all a/c.

You know you're getting older when you sunburn your head when you go snorkeling.

Last edited by Little Porsche Boy; 03-27-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

ALWAYS. No matter where i was going or what i was doing, as long as no precipitation. Id just put the roof back on when i was at certain places and take it back off when i left.

Quick Reply: How often do you take the sunroof all the way off your 944?