Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems starting engine after resealing job

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I bought another belt, from the dealer this time, and the periodic rubbing went away. Upon inspection the old belt showed some warping. The new belt is quiet, but it felt like it might rub the rear cover. Eventually, I put a washer behind the belt tensioning pulley, and now the belt is seated nicely. I know I was dicouraged from this, but I didn't find any other problems, and there was no visible wobbling of any sprocket. When the belt was next to the flange of the tensioning pulley, it shouldn't rub the cover. Maybe the cover is warped?
In any case, I did over 400 km yesterday. So far no problems.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Supachink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find a solution to this, I have had my motor rebuilt for a little while now, and it does a similar thing. It rubs on the back cover. The belt I am using is a flennor, which i am already aware is a lesser version than the Conti belts everyone else uses. I also thought about the heat warping the cover, but this is a diffent cover than i had previously used... which had the exact area that my belt is rubbing cut out with a dremel... i have found several examples of this on other t belt covers, so i wonder if this was a common issue? Anyone have any ideas. I'm going to go recheck all my rollers and gears over again religiously just like i did the last 10 times until i find a solution.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... I believe my and your belts are/were defective. Sometimes they twist it in a strange way during shipping, maybe this causes problems. Try a new belt, and if this doesn't work, think about the extra washer as I described earlier. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Problems starting engine after resealing job