Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UGH NJ EMISSIONS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry... I said gas... I meant exhaust.
I'll try to test the O2 sensor tonight when I get home. But I do think that it is the original.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dark sooty exhaust means you are running rich. It will also make your eyes tear if its real bad. I think we established the fact you are running rich...you just need to figure out why now.

You said you put on a new FPR, did that solve the problem?

Getting the old O2 sensor off can be a real pain in the ***...i reccommend running the car up to temp, shutting it off. And spraying the hell out of it with a penetrating oil. Mine took a fair amount of penetrating oil and ALOT of force with two wrenches to get it off.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can tell that the car is running better. But it did sputter and stall again tonight. It didnt sputter for as long but it did still stall when the car was pulled to a complete stop.
The idle doesnt vary as much and it is a little more responsive to throttle, but both are still below ideal. Slightly unresponsive but not as much as before.

Would the AFM make it sputter and stall?

-Brett
Old 03-19-2006, 12:41 AM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
I just ordered a new FPR since its only $65. I'll put it in ASAP.
Is this probably why my car starts supttering and stalls out on occasion? And then runs fine after I blow it out.

My spark plugs are brand new NGK Iridiums.
I am going to give you my stock answer for the symptoms you mentioned and one of these days it will be the solution for someone out there. It might not be for you but you did mention changing the plugs. Did you have the problem before you changed the spark plugs? It took a little while for my problem to show after changing the plugs.

I had a similar symptom with my turbo charged motorcycle a few years ago. The plugs would foul up rather quickly and it was hard to keep it running after starting unless I revved it up a lot. I also couldn’t drive slowly without it fouling up the plugs and running like you are describing. It turned out to be the spark plugs even new ones would foul quickly. I changed to a one number hotter plug and the problem went away and hasn’t come back.

It may be something as simple as the wrong spark plugs. Do you still have the old plugs that you replaced? If you do try putting them in and see how the car runs.

Quick Reply: UGH NJ EMISSIONS!!!