Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stincken ALTENATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
blgdaddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stincken ALTENATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

ok my altenator is only pumping out 11.8 volts. Joe was kind enough to dig one up for me at a fantastic price (thanks joe).

here is the dilema. The one i got from joe has a 3 prong plug in. My altenator has to terminal post. (SEE PICS)

i pulled out the trusty Haynes manual and the one they show is like mine.

Is this right? am i just the unluckiest guy in the world that has the only 944/1 that is like the haynes car.

Joes spec car is a 944/1 why is his different.
Attached Images   
Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe to late, but try just replacing the voltage regulator. the two phillips head screws securing the white/black oblong thing on the rear of the alt. bet it will work fine. maybe twenty bucks. should find one at any local parts store. real common item.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:49 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was afraid of that.
You could try to swap the regulator from one to the other or make connector.

You could probably even take the brushes from one and swap them.

Since the current unit is pumping out 11.8 volts it is just weak, not dead. It probably only needs brushes anyway.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
rudidelange
Track Day

Replace the bearings at the same time -
Old 03-09-2006, 12:01 PM
blgdaddy
Advanced

i did swap out the regulators. i went and had it tested and it was pumping the 11.8 with the swapped regulator.

Brushes
are the brushes that you are refuring to the ones on the regulator?

as far as making a connector. I would attempt that accept that i dont know what each spade on the other altenator is for. My altenator only has (2) wires. The thick one that goes to the starter and a smaller gauge one that is on the upper terminal post in the pic.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without looking at it... The brushes should be two little spring loaded black (or graphite colored) little blocks. They will slide on contacts attached to the rotor.

I'll be home maybe around 9:00 today. Do you have the alternator out of the car? If so, I can come by and pick it up. I should be able to test it on Friday and at least pipoint exactly where the problem is, although I'm not positive I'll have time. Just IM me, I'll get the message when I get home.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blgdaddy
as far as making a connector. I would attempt that accept that i dont know what each spade on the other altenator is for. My altenator only has (2) wires. The thick one that goes to the starter and a smaller gauge one that is on the upper terminal post in the pic.
The big wire goes into larger connector on the outside. The little one goes to the middle connector. The small plug on the outside is the same as that little wire on the back of your alternator. It is for the radio ground.

I think we can dig up a proper connector to go with that unit. Unfortunalty we can get it to you before Monday evening at the earliest. I will be leaving for Cal Speedway later today and will be back lack Sunday.

Quick Reply: Stincken ALTENATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!