Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

okay, this is getting ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006 | 10:08 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

Exclamation okay, this is getting ridiculous

I'm coming to the conclusion that there are no Porsche interior codes.

My car's label says the interior code is 'XP'. The color is that grey-beige that was offered in the mid 80's.

The PET does not list a 'grey beige' for an 85 944....but it does list a 'grey -beige' for the 85 928. ( and it has a part number of 'UC' ).

But I have noticed on the PET that the SAME color for a different year has a different code.

The part number for can-can-red carpet for an 85 944 is ' 5MD'.

The part number for can-can-red carpet for an 86 944 is '2MC'.

So maybe these are NOT 'interior codes' but rather only part numbers.

Maybe there IS no such thing as an 'interior code' and Porsche went with the word descriptions such as 'burgundy', 'brown', 'black' etc.

Problem with this is that one man's 'light grey' is another's 'grey beige'...so there is no way to be accurate.

Identical parts of different colors all have the EXACT same part number stamped on them- totally useless for differentiating colors.

So while the code stickers might list a 'code' for your interior color, that 'code' is never actually used anywhere- not even on the PET.

Have I confused you yet? Good! Now you see the problem.

If you have a black interior or a can-can red interior- ordering carpet, mats, etc. is no problem as those colors are obvious.

But with colors such as 'white' or 'linen', 'light grey' vs 'grey beige', the colors are not so obvious and it can even depend on type of lighting one views the parts under / in.

I can't be the first to have run into this dilemma....in fact, when I ordered mats online, the supplier called me to ask 'are you SURE you want grey-beige??' as they wanted to double check since they get tired of getting returns because the mats were not the color the customer wanted.

Any thoughts? Solutions?
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:58 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

I am going through this exact thing right now trying to find the grey beige and so far I have two companies sending me samples to compare. I will snap some photos when they get here just to let you see what they htink it is.
I know this much, linen is way lighter than the grey beige (whick looks like light tan to me) and I have never seen white except in pictures.
I feel ya man,

IPSC
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:03 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Right! And from what I can tell each aftermarket company makes up their own internal codes for colors or just uses the names. Of course, figuring out the name for a color can be difficult.
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:43 AM
rixter
928 OB-Wan
Rennlist Member

you are not the first to run into this problem, in fact I'm currently dyeing some parts grey-beige for a customer since no one else seems to be able to match them
I'll post a couple pics later today so you can see the differences in the beige colors that were available..
even to me, and I do LOTS of dye work, it can be confusing
here's a sampling of "beige" all 4 are diff colors
Attached Images  

Last edited by rixter; 03-09-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:35 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

The second one from the left is grey-beige I believe.

in fact, i think it is from MY car!

( you're dying it for me, Rick!)

If you'll notice the part numbers on the backs of each piece they will all have the EXACT same aprt number minus the two-letter color code such as 'UC' for grey-beige.

I thought Germans were all about accuracy and being ****-retentive! The way they did the interior codes , or lack of interior codes is just sloppy.

i will post some pics of different colors later today.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:59 PM
ApexCars
Pro

The Germans are **** about mechanics and physics. Anyone who came up with the pink plaid interior for the '88 951 S can not care too much about how things look. I have heard one Porsche engineer quoted as saying "You should be looking at zee road, not at zee seats."
Old 03-09-2006 | 01:06 PM
rixter
928 OB-Wan
Rennlist Member

far left is linen... the other 3 are ALL grey-beige!!! believe it or not
I didn't show tan, brown, cork, white, silver grey.. ALL of which, after 15-20 yrs, can end up looking similar
so we "in the business" are not always 100% sure of color ourselves, this is why I asked you to send me the sample... I have the dye already (picked it up yesterday), I should have you 2 replacements ready to go by tomorrow afternoon.. will call you when they are ready
Old 03-09-2006 | 04:37 PM
rixter
928 OB-Wan
Rennlist Member

here you go John,
on the right is the sample you sent, on the left is your "new" replacement (I have both sides done and will call you tomorrow after they cure)
hope you find this acceptable
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2006 | 05:46 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

thanks....for others interested, here is my pic of 3 hinge covers.

The far left is grey-beige.

I THINK the middle one is light grey.

And I think the far right is tan.

Where 'linen' fits in all this I don't know!

For anyone having the same problems I highly recommend DC Automotive. Richard has been most helpful and as you can he has taken a personal interest.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: okay, this is getting ridiculous