Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put 4 speakers in the 944 today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this cuby system for the sub as good or identical to http://www.jageng.com/auto_1.htm 's?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
White Pony
Racer

I started making my custom doorpod setup last night. It sucks I don't have a camera to show you guys...

Its a 3/4" MDF plate with a hole cut over where the front 4x6 speaker would be, leaving tabs where the screws go in. I started gluing the MDF speaker mounting on dowel "stilts" to get it ready for the first coat of fiberglass. No door mods needed besides throwing out those stupid 4x6's!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:55 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by mavfan
is this cuby system for the sub as good or identical to http://www.jageng.com/auto_1.htm 's?
If you are talking about the 10" sun woofer pods it is totally different. It is actually hidden inthe cubby. Here is the link:

http://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm
Old 05-26-2006, 10:57 AM
dmn23
Racer

I do have the ten speaker option, and I'm less than impressed. I also have option M494 - Additional Amplifier (anyone know anything about this, by the way? Where is it?). The only thing I can figure is that when the PO pulled the Blaupunkt out and installed the new Pioneer head unit he must have screwed up something, because in my mind a ten speaker array should sound far more dazzling than it actually does. Anyone have any experience with replacing speakers on cars with this option code? How do they differ from the regular speaker setups?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 490, 10 speaker stereo in my 968. The amp in mine is under the px seat. Right on the front. Little Alpine unit. The rear amps are attatched to the speakers themselves. If you tried to run a high power unit into the amps, I could see there being issues.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeeper31
If you are talking about the 10" sun woofer pods it is totally different. It is actually hidden inthe cubby. Here is the link:

http://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm
that seems way over priced, especially when you can do it yourself for next to nothing. that and it costs the same as the jagend one which seems better IMO. having your sub under the carpet flap doesn't seem like a good idea either, having the speaker buzz up against the carpet? what are your feelings on this?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

I've been wondering about the audio in my baby. I dont have a whole lot of chances to enjoy the engine note, so music is a must for me! I was wondering what speakers to look into. And I just can't wait until I have the cash to get hidden sub. One question though, while I'm not looking to have another loud car (my last one had 2 12" Rockafer Punch2 800watts a piece), I would like a fair bit of bite. I was thinking about getting both sides with the 4ohm driver, instead of a a single 8ohm. Anyone else have done this?

And the head unit. It's a blaukupnt, and it doesnt seem up to the task. Its to sensitive (it starts skipping if even the slightest finger print is on the CD). Any suggestions for a good replacement unit?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by Drewsifer
I've been wondering about the audio in my baby. I dont have a whole lot of chances to enjoy the engine note, so music is a must for me! I was wondering what speakers to look into. And I just can't wait until I have the cash to get hidden sub. One question though, while I'm not looking to have another loud car (my last one had 2 12" Rockafer Punch2 800watts a piece), I would like a fair bit of bite. I was thinking about getting both sides with the 4ohm driver, instead of a a single 8ohm. Anyone else have done this?

And the head unit. It's a blaukupnt, and it doesnt seem up to the task. Its to sensitive (it starts skipping if even the slightest finger print is on the CD). Any suggestions for a good replacement unit?
ECLIPSE! THey have the best units I have ever dealt with. I've had Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic and I will NEVER buy any of them again after my Eclipse HU. The sound is amazing, they read damaged CD's well, and are easy to use. My mom can even figure out her Eclipse HU. Currenly me and my family are all running one.

If you want a fair bit of "bite" with less weight, check out the 8" RL-i from Soundsplinter, the 8" DD1008 (Digital Designs) the Ascendant Audio Arsenal 8". All these 8's on their own (that's right, just one) POUND and in a small ported box with about 300 watts.

Here's the RL-8i in action http://www.realmofexcursion.com/vide...ter/rli8.1.wmv (LINK IS FIXED)

The Boston Acoustics or the Infinity Kappa 4x6" Plate speakers are both excellent choices for speaker replacement, both have good response on the high and midrange level and are vastly more detailed and much louder than many 4x6" coax speakers.

And, FYI, Blaupunkt is miserable. /story

Last edited by White Pony; 05-26-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

that seems way over priced, especially when you can do it yourself for next to nothing. that and it costs the same as the jagend one which seems better IMO. having your sub under the carpet flap doesn't seem like a good idea either, having the speaker buzz up against the carpet? what are your feelings on this?
I have used this for 2 years and love it. There is no buzzing fro te carpet but you do have to take the rubber backing off the carpet on the cubby flap. It does provide more than enough bass and the best part is that it is hidden and allows you the full space in the hatch. I have an Alpine amp
in the opposite cubby which is running the sub.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:11 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sub is interesting, though not available on that site anymore. Looks like more than I want, anyway. I don't really like the new Eclipse units. Considered one, but the iPod interface on the Alpine sold me.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:38 PM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by bart1
That sub is interesting, though not available on that site anymore. Looks like more than I want, anyway. I don't really like the new Eclipse units. Considered one, but the iPod interface on the Alpine sold me.
I agree, alpine and eclipse are close.... VERY close. I like Eclipse slightly better because of the sound processing and ease of use...

I'd buy an Alpine if an Eclipse didn't do the job.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:55 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeeper31
I have used this for 2 years and love it. There is no buzzing fro te carpet but you do have to take the rubber backing off the carpet on the cubby flap. It does provide more than enough bass and the best part is that it is hidden and allows you the full space in the hatch. I have an Alpine amp
in the opposite cubby which is running the sub.
wouldn't it be good to put a cover on the speaker to protect it? also isn't it just a precut board that you have to screw in place? why not just do it yourself?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

wouldn't it be good to put a cover on the speaker to protect it? also isn't it just a precut board that you have to screw in place? why not just do it yourself?
It is not a precut board but a whole enclosure made out of MDF. If fits snugly into the cubby whole and sounds great. I can post a pic if you'd like.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
I don't really like the new Eclipse units. Considered one, but the iPod interface on the Alpine sold me.

We are installing 2 Alpine 9856s - one in each 944, with the new ipod interface. The 9856 is on sale at Crutchfields for $199 and the interface is only $30. It is a much better interface than last years from Alpine and is better than most other makes current offerings both price wise and performance wise. I am not affiliated in any way with Crutchfield's, but pm me if you want a code that will get you $20 off your order of $200 or more.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I see that the infinity plates are 4 ohms, does it hurt the amp to push 8 ohm speakers up front and 4 ohms in the rear? Logic tells me that the rear will be louder all else equal, but i don't trust my logic.

Quick Reply: Put 4 speakers in the 944 today.