Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should I go for a drive on Sunday afternoon? Malibu? Ideas?

Old 03-01-2006, 04:23 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I go for a drive on Sunday afternoon? Malibu? Ideas?

Hey guys...

I'm itching to go for a scenic drive. The last fun-run I went on with y'all was, let see... IN NOV or DEC 2004! Who remembers what happened? Good, not let's not bring it up ok? Hahaha.

I've heard good things about Malibu, but don't know where to go. I'd drive Julian again, but someplace new would be nice. Possibly Big Bear, but I think it's covered in slush? PCH around here is pretty bland as far as fun driving is concerned.

So? Where's good? You're welcome to come along if you want
Old 03-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Though I don't condone it, the malibu mountains are great if your set on it. There has been greater police presence however.what happend in 04, i wasn't there. I bet it wasn;t as bad as one I was on once.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

I um, took a curve a little hot, and there was this patch of gravel, and sun glare, and an elephant in the road, so I couldn't make the turn (not my fault "sure..."), and my car made out with a guard rail. Had to straighten the frame, buy a parts car, do 3 months of body work, give up, take car to paint shop, etc etc. Very painful mistake. I'm much less likely to have my ***-end swing out this time, considering my sway bar works (was missing a bushing first time around), and I've got a little bit better feel for the car, so, fingers crossed... Ok. no more questions about my dumbass driving now

I'm not set on it, just looking for an enjoyable route really.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I haven't been on the roads I'm going to suggest for 14 years - so I can't speak for their current condition or the state of build-up.

Tuna Canyon Rd. Take this from Hwy 1 north. Great hill climb road!

Topanga Canyon Rd. Good road to get from some good roads to other good roads.

Mulholland Drive. This was an excellent road in some places 14 years ago. I revisited about 2 or 3 years ago and a lot of it is all built up and some parts (the best parts - unpaved) are actually access limited. Still, there must be some portions that are good.

I'd look for a good map and start looking for ways to connect the good twisty bits. Seems to work when I lay-out a rally...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

1) Try to keep it under 140
2) Watch out for telephone poles
3) If you do mess up, say some guy named "Dietrich" was driving and ran away
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Malibu and that area is fun but I find that on a weekend it typically isn't worth it coming from down this area - takes too long sitting in traffic, which can be nightmarish on Sat. or Sun. If you're going to do it - leave VERY early. Otherwise, I'd say simply head south of you down towards Lake Elsinore - there are some fun roads around there also.

Best of luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like MAD MAPS for coming up with ideas for a drive. I don't have one with me, but you might find a copy at your local motorcycle store.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shmucklebuckle
I um, took a curve a little hot, and there was this patch of gravel, and sun glare, and an elephant in the road, so I couldn't make the turn (not my fault "sure..."), and my car made out with a guard rail. Had to straighten the frame, buy a parts car, do 3 months of body work, give up, take car to paint shop, etc etc. Very painful mistake. I'm much less likely to have my ***-end swing out this time, considering my sway bar works (was missing a bushing first time around), and I've got a little bit better feel for the car, so, fingers crossed... Ok. no more questions about my dumbass driving now

I'm not set on it, just looking for an enjoyable route really.
]
Streets of willow, WSIR, or buttonwillow are all enjoyable routes.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by josephsc
I like MAD MAPS for coming up with ideas for a drive. I don't have one with me, but you might find a copy at your local motorcycle store.
Waaaait a MINUTE! I work in a motorcycle dealership... I think we have those Why didn't I think of this? Too early I suppose.

/runs over to parts counter...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Ebby_951S
Instructor

hey, ya know... i live in OC, too... perhaps a group drive is in order?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
]
Streets of willow, WSIR, or buttonwillow are all enjoyable routes.
Yes, I really want to take my car to a track. I'll behave on the streets. I promise.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ebby_951S
hey, ya know... i live in OC, too... perhaps a group drive is in order?
I've been looking at the Central/SoCal "Mad Map." Almost all the decent "local" driving is accompanied by "Warning: 3 season drive only." The best I found was about 2hrs south of North Orange County (just east of El Cajon). A friend of mine from work likes the idea, and he might come along... We might even make it a 1-nighter, to cut down on the "in-car" time a bit. Just bring some food and sleeping bags, ya know? BUT...

If alot of y'all (or even just 1 or two of you) want to come with, I have no problem with making it a 1 day trip. Anybody else wanna come with?

Also: considering Jeff's idea (Lake Elsinore), there are some possible good routes around there, or east of Camp Pendleton. Exiting the 15 in Temecula, I see this order of roads, all the way to the beach in Del Mar: De Luz Rd, Rice Canyon Rd, Couser Cyn Rd, Lilac Rd, Woods Valley, Lake Wolhlford Rd, Del Dios Hwy. Looks like at least 60 miles of road. Then if people have had enough, they can just take the 5 back to wherever, since it dumps us out there.

Ideas? Opinions?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Ebby_951S
Instructor

I'm up for just about anything, although I do know the Temecula area fairly well... At least where to go for a beer or two after the drive...
Old 03-01-2006, 08:22 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ebby_951S
I'm up for just about anything, although I do know the Temecula area fairly well... At least where to go for a beer or two after the drive...
Do you recognize any of the roads I rattled off, or do you know of an enjoyable drive in that area?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:53 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Ok - re the roads I just mentioned - "This option is extremely scenic with fabulous twisties!"
Just north of the S6 on Lilac Rd is a place called "Fat Ivors," I guess they have great ribs. Who's down?

Search this Thread