Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ay Carumba....(car wont start.....distributor?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006 | 07:08 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Definitely check the rotor. The only time my 951 left me stranded (aside from right after buying it on the way home) it was due to a rotor that had literally disintegrated inside the dist. housing. I reccomend locktite on the little allen bolt that secures the rotor to the cam shaft. Mine had apparently wiggled loose and the resulting slippage destroyed the rotor in very short order. I shudder to think what might've happened if that little allen bolt or a chunk of rotor got lodged in one of the cam gear teeth. . .

A teeny bit of locktite and the resulting minor inconvenience at your next rotor change is worth the peace of mind, IMO. Best of luck.
Old 02-27-2006 | 07:50 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

yes..."accidentally"...of course.

I dont use them too often. When is the next ride?
Old 02-27-2006 | 07:51 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Definitely check the rotor. The only time my 951 left me stranded (aside from right after buying it on the way home) it was due to a rotor that had literally disintegrated inside the dist. housing. I reccomend locktite on the little allen bolt that secures the rotor to the cam shaft. Mine had apparently wiggled loose and the resulting slippage destroyed the rotor in very short order. I shudder to think what might've happened if that little allen bolt or a chunk of rotor got lodged in one of the cam gear teeth. . .

A teeny bit of locktite and the resulting minor inconvenience at your next rotor change is worth the peace of mind, IMO. Best of luck.

i'll pick all that up tonight after work. seems like the general consensus is an ounce of prevention is worth about 10 pounds of cure. probably moreso with 951's.

my 951 has left me stranded maybe.....3 times. which are fuel pump not getting a signal due to corroded connections. shift linkage, and now this.

i'll open it up tonight and see what's up....
Old 02-27-2006 | 07:55 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Andial951
yes..."accidentally"...of course.

I dont use them too often. When is the next ride?

hey, leave things around mexicans, what do you expect? you're lucky my g/f isnt mexican, otherwise you wouldnt have found your car after the drive!

i dont know exactly when. steve is supposed to be putting something on in april. but i might do something similar to this drive (but faster now that i know the roads and where to turn, and maybe even faster if no one's throttle cable sticks........ ). who knows. if you need it like, 100%, i'm in SF from the 13th through the 16th on vacation (yeah, mexicans dont like vacationing in mexico). and you can drop by or i can go on the way there to drop it off.

let me know.

Quick Reply: Ay Carumba....(car wont start.....distributor?)