Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ’83……she’s a running AGAIN!.....AT LAST.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My ’83……she’s a running AGAIN!.....AT LAST.

For some earlier excerpts,

See http://forums.pelicanparts.com/show...threadid=257955

I just fired up my ’83 after an extended down time (since end of December).

Things I’ve done to it since then:

Head gasket replacement, checked head and replaced valve guide seals, everything else looked great on it. I replaced one head stud.

Repaired, replaced all vacuum hoses under intake, and the smaller ones also. DME temp sensor, cold idle valve cleaned and tested, new temp valve, re-worked wiring, and replaced a couple of amp connectors.
I painted intake, cam tower, headers.

All new rear wheel bearings and seals. E-brake cleaned and adjusted, rotors checked.

Removed and replaced fuel tank. Had spare one repaired/patched, installed new filler neck seal and drain tubing. Cleaned/painted/new screen installed.

I replaced all seals on transmission, replaced shifter rod and lever with ones that I’ve rebuilt. She’s nice and tight now!

New speakers under rear side panels. I still need to re-install the panels and quarter windows yet, butt, hey! No big thing.

I fired it up, everything looking great, for the first few minutes, and POW!.........the engine started to surge from 800 to 1200 RPM! I FREAKED OUT! VACUUM LEAK! NO WAY! I just did all that, right?

It turned out to be a bad TPS. After using soapy water looking ALL over for vacuum leaks, I started to look at the TPS. I removed it originally, to clean the throttle body real good, and put it back on, without doing a meter check on it. Just the “click” thing, ya know (AND, it wasn’t a problem BEFORE). I tested it with a meter today, and WTF, the WOT side of it was no good, so I replaced it, and all is well again! I’ll probably start driving it in the next couple of days, and then I’ll see just what all else I messed up on, or need to re-do. Butt, I know the knowledge and help is here if I need it!

Moral of this long story……………..THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Without having these forums for support and help, I’m not so sure I could have gotten this far AT ALL, with this car! THANKS! For ALL your combined knowledge and experiences!
I'm learning SOOO much, and I LOVE IT!!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:35 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Great job Ken!! Lets see some pics!!

Michael
Old 02-27-2006, 03:02 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job dude. now let see some pics

Brandon
Old 02-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

PICS, of what? Engine bay? No big thing, ya know. I'm just tickled its a running again!

Brandon, I'll be seeing ya soon!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:40 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah looking forward to it. I just sent you my address via PM over at Pelican.

Brandon
Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm getting to old for this software update stuff. New computer, software, update this, that, and the other thing.........just to re-size and put up pictures? Oh well, I think I got it though! I gotta admit though, its easier on the bod than working on these cars!

We'll see how long the paint holds up on that exhaust manifold. Approx. 65 miles on it today, in the rain, just before these pics. Runs pretty good.....so far.
Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2006, 12:11 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Ken, the 83's are real troopers. Mine will sit for months, drop a battery in her, and starts on the second crank revolution!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way Michael, I'll trade ya both these '944's for that 928 ya got there.

Watch ya think? You and Lisa can come out here with the car, I'll feed ya, put ya up for a day or two, then you and momma can race one another all the way back home!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Ken, the 83's are real troopers. Mine will sit for months, drop a battery in her, and starts on the second crank revolution!

Kevin, yeah, I agree. I love this '83 over the others. Its just lighter, funner, less finicky, and just funner! Even with the manual steering and sunroof. It also seems to be getting most my attention nowadays too. Hmmm, fancy that!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:52 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Granite 944
By the way Michael, I'll trade ya both these '944's for that 928 ya got there.

Watch ya think? You and Lisa can come out here with the car, I'll feed ya, put ya up for a day or two, then you and momma can race one another all the way back home!

Ken,

I think that the trip out there would be quick enough in the 928. The 2700+ miles in a 944 that would eat up the rest of our vacation for the year. What would that be crawling along 7-8 days? Maybe if you had Filntstone floors like my '83 had we could at least use our feet and maybe trim a day off the trip by peddling.

Nice job with two beautiful cars!

Michael

Quick Reply: My ’83……she’s a running AGAIN!.....AT LAST.