Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the car back....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antonioali
i don't know what that red stuff is(liquid gasket?) but it wasn't there before i took it in to the shop, is that part of a cam seal job?
Anyway heres some pics.
is there a cork gasket in the pic? i dont see one.
if not, i guess they resealed with liquid gasket.

My response is: should have been replaced with OE cork gasket and no additional sealant.

Nice looking 951, as always
Old 02-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by fezz
is there a cork gasket in the pic? i dont see one.
if not, i guess they resealed with liquid gasket.

My response is: should have been replaced with OE cork gasket and no additional sealant.

Nice looking 951, as always

I have to disagree with that. The OEM cork gaskets are a crappy design. They don’t have crush rings in the bolt holes and they can easily leak if they are over tightened. A good bead of RTV sealant is much better than the cork gasket.

My old ’83 928 (same head design as the 8V 944) developed this leak right after I rebuilt the heads. The brand new cork gasket got crushed and pushed out of the cam cap resulting in a pretty big leak. In my case I made a replacement gasket out of a regular gasket material, but the alternative would have been silicone.

RTV silicone sealants were not yet developed when these cars and the 928 were first developed. Therefore the gaskets were designed from existing materials such as cork. Since then, new products have been invented and are now widely used as a replacement for material like cork. If the thickness of a gasket is not important I would replace every cork gasket with something more modern.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imo000
The OEM cork gaskets are a crappy design ... A good bead of RTV sealant is much better than the cork gasket
expected and understood.

for me, i like preformed gaskets.
liquid sealants = workmanship of uncertainty.

Quick Reply: Finally got the car back....