Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Sugguestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 11:55 PM
troll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Sugguestions?

Well, first and foremost, I BROKE THE STUD THAT GOES THROUGH THE STARTER MOTOR. I was using my foot in place of my hand to get the bolt off, and bad idea I guess. The starter is good, but the stud is now broken, lol. Any sugguestions?

Aside from that, I am looking for a new starter motor. I've priced one for 139 - 20
% discount from Pep Boys + Tax. That sounds DECENT. Autozone has the same price (less the discount), but both carry life time guarentees. Pep Boy's is a remanufactured Bosch unit and I'm assuming so is autozone's. Does anyone have a starter they're willing to let go plus shipping? I'm pretty poor after having my wheels stolen and window bashed in (read my previous post). Thanks in advance for anything you guys can offer (advice, criticism, or a starter
Old 02-24-2006, 05:27 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Carefully drill that stud out. Don't use the reverse thread bolt removers. Take your time to start a pilot hole in the center and proceed slowly and accurately with the bolt remover.

The other option is to drill the stud out and tap the hole with a different thread or use helix coils to fix the threads.

Why do did you use your foot? That stud should not have a torque rating higher than 40 nm. Was it rusted onto the bell housing?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by troll
Well, first and foremost, I BROKE THE STUD THAT GOES THROUGH THE STARTER MOTOR. I was using my foot in place of my hand to get the bolt off, and bad idea I guess. The starter is good, but the stud is now broken, lol. Any sugguestions?

Aside from that, I am looking for a new starter motor. I've priced one for 139 - 20
% discount from Pep Boys + Tax. That sounds DECENT. Autozone has the same price (less the discount), but both carry life time guarentees. Pep Boy's is a remanufactured Bosch unit and I'm assuming so is autozone's. Does anyone have a starter they're willing to let go plus shipping? I'm pretty poor after having my wheels stolen and window bashed in (read my previous post). Thanks in advance for anything you guys can offer (advice, criticism, or a starter

if you want, i can go down to my local porsche junkyard and get a starter from there.

i've gotten a starter from them before, and to my knowledge it's still working to this day.

not to mention other parts....
Old 02-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

I replaced mine a while back. I got it from speedyautoparts.com. It sounds like a joke site but I have bought many things from them and always look there first. Shipping is free (and fast) for purchases over $50. I don't remember what I paid but it was a good price. Once I had the old starter off I noticed that it was a replacement also...so I'm on at least the third starter the car has had. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Starter Sugguestions?