Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear torsion bars when using coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Jolly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear torsion bars when using coilovers

If I go to 4 corner torsion bars for 944, do I have to remove the rear torsion bars? Do I have to re-index them?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

you mean 4-corner coilovers?

do a search on torsion bars and/or rear coilovers. in short - no, you do not have to remove them. but depending on spring rate, you will most likely need to reindex them.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I presume that you mean 4 corner coil overs? If so the effective rear spring rate becomes a combination of the torsion bar and the rear coil over springs. If you keep t-bars, you will need to re-index them for the appropriate ride height. Also if keeping them, you should consider them as an interdepenent system.
If you choose to delete t-bars, the rear coil overs will need an effective spring rate that takes the absense of the t-bars into consideration. (If you remove t-bars, you'll want stiffer springs.) Your car will rely on the coil overs, and the empty torsion tube as your rear suspension assembly. There will be no need for re-indexing. Ride height will be largely adjusted by the coil overs.
You will probably hear someone say that you are running a risk deleting the t-bars. The answer to that is, "Do you personally know anyone who had a rear suspension failure at the shock mounts?" Everyone likes to talk about it, but you will find rear coil over/t-bar delete failures to be EXTREMELY rare. BTW the upper mount should be what people are concerned about, not the lower.
I would suggest that you replace the rear spring plate bushing with the bushing offered by elephant racing.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Keith E.
Advanced

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...orsion+conical

Here's one of the rare unlucky lucky. Lucky in that it didn't happen by hitting the kink a bit too high at 120. It weighs on my mind, but I still haven't put the torsion bars back in.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the guy above replaced the stock bolt with what he thought was a "stronger" bolt. It wasn't. He didn't use the stock lower mount.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith E.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...orsion+conical

Here's one of the rare unlucky lucky. Lucky in that it didn't happen by hitting the kink a bit too high at 120. It weighs on my mind, but I still haven't put the torsion bars back in.
Not sure that post is a good example of lower or upper shock mount failure - since it seems like the failures mentioned were on the lower bolts that were neither the factory M14 bolt, nor a suitable aftermarket adaptor bolt for spherical bearings.

I just did a quick read, but it sounds like the original poster broke a bolt that his buddy recommended from a hardware store and he didnt know what the proper torque for the bolt was. That is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:18 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Not sure that post is a good example of lower or upper shock mount failure - since it seems like the failures mentioned were on the lower bolts that were neither the factory M14 bolt, nor a suitable aftermarket adaptor bolt for spherical bearings.

I just did a quick read, but it sounds like the original poster broke a bolt that his buddy recommended from a hardware store and he didnt know what the proper torque for the bolt was. That is a disaster waiting to happen.
my point precisely. I will give some credence to Lausts experince, but his was under extreme track conditions.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Keith E.
Advanced

Ahh...It's been awhile since I read through it. The photo stuck in my mind though. Do you think there is any credence to the conical adapter idea and it's use being stronger than the just the stock bolt? Or maybe it's even weaker?

Quick Reply: Rear torsion bars when using coilovers