Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help planning my maintenance attack.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help planning my maintenance attack.

I say attack because there are some little and some big things that need to be done to my 87 NA.

First:
I have bad ball joints and just picked up the Super Deluxe Ball Joint kit from Rennbay. While I am in there, someone suggested caster blocks from a turbo or something, but I can't find the parts? Also, is there anything else I should replace that I don't want to do later (when doing the ball joints).

Second:
I get a black cloud of smoke when getting on it, my lower engine seal is leaking and I want to change the belts as it is almost time. My impression from earlier responses is the cloud of smoke is from bad oil fill tube seals. So I want to do those. Is there anything else I should replace while doing that? Also, when I do the belts and lower engine seal, is there anything else I should do while I have this all dismantled?

When buying seals, should I go to the dealer or does one of our vendors sell them? Same for the belts?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im doing the same job with the control arms. Changing the ball joints also. The upgrade everyone is talking about is the 968 caster blocks. They contain less rubber and have a more direct feel. You may want to change the front control arm bushing while you have it all apart, its up to you. You have the option of going with stock, the Weltmeister red bushings or the spherical type bushings.

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...341.023.01.htm

I am also changing those oil fill tube seals (air oil seperator o-rings). This job requires removal of the intake manifold. things you might consider changing are the two vacuum hoses which are connected to the ISV and maybe even the ISV. Dont know how far you want to go. There are a TON of things you could change while your in there, it all depends how far you want to go. I would recommend having the injectors cleaned, resealed and flowtested while you have the manifold off.

Its funny, i have a '87 944, red also. Doing all the same work within the next few weeks once the weather lets up. Maybe our cars are connected...like they came off the assembly line right after each other.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

I forgot, I was going to send the injectors while the car is down also . Thanks for the help.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Make that three.

(Minus ball joints)
Old 02-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

btt?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

Any more ideas?

Quick Reply: Need help planning my maintenance attack.