Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for Track Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I have a DE day that I'd love to make here in two weeks... but I really need some new brakes on the 944. I've read lots of posts about the virtues of Hawk Blues for track days, but I can't seem to find them at any of the usual suspects for scoring parts?

In fact I'm looking to do an entire brake job, with SS lines, pads, and preferably slotted rotors. I want a good medium track pad, nothing too aggressive as I will be doing some street driving as well.

And as I mentioned, preferably some place that would have it all in stock, as I need it to arrive this week so I can get 'er done next weekend. Any ideas?
Karl P. at Racer's Edge carries Hawk and may also have the SS lines, not sure if he carries rotors or not. Paragon will have the SS lines and rotors, but do not carry Hawk. They have a carbon kevlar pad (KFP magnum) that would be a track compound.

Most of the track compounds, especially the carbon kevlar compounds (cool carbons, porterfields, KFPs, etc) squeak. But any of these pads used in the smaller floating calipers on a 944 n/a do not squeak anywhere near as much as the large fixed 4 piston calipers on the Turbos and especially the TS/928S4 calipers.

Brake usage can vary dramatically depending on the track layout. Some tracks are very easy on brakes, others are very tough.

Also, sometimes the more inexperienced and slower a driver is, the harder they are on brakes - because they slow down way too much for the corners and put a lot of heat into the pads, fluid, and rotors.

Be careful compromising too much on brake pads. You may find that the pads you need for the track are not good for the street (noise and dust) - if so, you just change out the pads before and after track events. Or you live with them on the street.

Do not use a street compound pad on the track, they wont last. They can chunk, crack, melt/smear and most importantly they wont stop when they get hot/overheated.

With whatever pad you choose, if you are not satisfied with the braking (too much fade), try a heavier duty compound.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:08 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

KFP Golds are great for mixed track and street use. I ran those on my 944 spec car for a set or two. Worked good on the track till I melted them down one day as began to driver harder and harder. Since then I have used Hawk blues. Like other I do not consider this to be a good street pad at all.

Get the KFP's they will be great to start with.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:34 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay with stock rotors and try the HP-S. They may be a little loud on the street however.
If your just getting into DE they will provide plenty of feel, longevity and performance. They will wo-U-down from any speed your rocket will launch you. You should get 5-6 DE's from them. Good luck

Quick Reply: Source for Track Pads?