Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A disturbing discovery about gravity and friction

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006 | 03:54 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default A disturbing discovery about gravity and friction

OK
Today I decided to give the beast a complete clean and polish (who am I kidding, been looking forward to it for a week!)
So. Wash thougroughly with an unamed product which I sell, including most of engine bay. Remove number plates to clean behind and reinstall. Remove front bumper pads to clean properly.
Polish entire car, panel by panel, with 100% Carnuba Wax. Even wax inside engine bay???? I dont know why, I just did!
Have to wash my mothers car as penance, she's only 82, why cant she do her own.
Come inside, watch some idiot box, get into Rennlist to make posts score go higher, drink some coldies.
I just went outside to figure out how hard it would be to polish the headers etc while still in place; this is where the title comes in:
Did you know that if you carlessly place your stubby cooler anywhere but in the exact centre of the sunroof after waxing that gravity and a frictionless environment takes over?
Only just saved it before I got beer stains all down the passenger side of my baby!!!!
Beware of lack of friction! You have been warned!
Old 02-18-2006 | 10:40 PM
White Pony
Racer

Indeed!

Wax is fun... I haven't waxed my 924 for the simple reason that the paint really sucks, rock chips, cracking and that kind of stuff all over. I did wax the hell out of my 94 Crown Vic, it is still shiney even after I sold it to an Indonesian guy who uses it as a taxicab and never washes/maintains it.
That was two years ago.

YOu know what I think Rain-X (the popular window poduct) is just like super hard car wax. If you wax your car windows it does the same thing, just for not as long.
Old 02-19-2006 | 12:43 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Hahaha, yikes.
Trying to polish the headers?...
If they are stock headers, you are going to have to do a lot of work to polish them. Plus, they're cast iron, so they will just rust once you do polish them.
Personally I'd just ceramic coat them, or heat wrap them, or something else to look nice.

One time I put a double-gulp on the roof of my 951, relatively well centered, and because it was just below freezing, and there was frost on my roof it ended up going off the side. I caught it about half-way to the ground, and amazingly the lid stayed on, so I kept most of my drink.
Old 02-19-2006 | 12:49 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nah
Was only looking at them longingly after a few beers!
Seems like way too much work anyway!
However the car will be viewed by 1000's of people in April at the Cairns Motor Show, so,......................... I do want to spruch up the engine bay a bit without spraying degreaser all over my paintwork {been there! Done that! ).

Quick Reply: A disturbing discovery about gravity and friction