Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006 | 09:31 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Default Newbie suspension question

What are the advantages of the late-style suspension over the early suspension?

I'd be running Leda coilovers with either, just wondering if it would be worthwhile to change my '83 to the late-offset suspension, then purchase the Leda's.

Main reason I'd like to do this is for the better brakes and to be able to run the rims I want (16x8 Cup 1's all around) without spacers

Thanks
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:53 PM
jharding
Rennlist Member

You won't be able to fit Leda coilovers in the rear of an 83. The early 944 rear control arms have a bucket style lower shock mount that only accepts a 1.87" shock. To run 2" shocks you'll have to swap over to an 86 rear suspension, including stub axles.

Last edited by jharding; 02-16-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2006 | 07:42 AM
porcho heat
Pro

Didn't know that, Thanks!

Does it have to be an 86?
Old 02-17-2006 | 06:48 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Any more info about pro's/con's to going over to the late suspension?
Old 02-19-2006 | 01:27 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Last try. ^^^
Old 02-20-2006 | 06:10 PM
jharding
Rennlist Member

The 86 model year kept the same rear offset as the early models, so you can run your early wheels, such as Fuchs, cookie cutters, or early phone dials. 87 and up uses a different offset. You can use the suspension off an 87 and up, but then you will need late offset rear wheels or different spacers and maybe longer wheel studs to run the early wheels.

Pros/cons? That's up to you. What are your goals? It's a huge project. For me personally, unless I wanted to modify the car for track use then it'd be worth it. For just driving on the street you are really not gaining anything. The stock rear eccentric bolts let the rear be lowered about 3/4" before you have to index the torsion bars. Lowering that much might make the difference you are looking for. It will definitely improve cornering (when you lower the front too with lowering springs), but you will sacrifice ride quality, as the car will lose some suspension travel.

For street use don't underestimate the ride you get now. My car is set up for DE, very stiff, and while it handles great on the track, it is a bitch driving it on the street.
Old 02-20-2006 | 07:58 PM
porcho heat
Pro

I plan to track/auto-x it this year, while still being able to drive it on the street once and a while

I wanted to convert the car to late-offset, and use the bigger 951(or S4) brakes on front and back, and run the 16" Cup 1's, or some other 16" OEM wheels.

Ride quality isn't a big deal, I prefer the stiffer ride to softer rides I have in my other cars, but I guess I don't know how stiff stiff can really get... Leda's are pretty adjustable though, arent they?

Just going through some thoughts for the car's suspension

Thanks
Old 02-20-2006 | 08:09 PM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

Porcho heat,

Ride quality and stiffness are related. Ride quality can suffer up to a personal threshold. However, if you make your suspension to stiff, it may become undrivable on the street. Think about it, streets are rarely flat, completely paved and smooth. Too stiff a suspension can become the equivalent of rinding on solid bars. Now, everytime you hit an imperfection in the road your car lifts off the ground, instead of just one wheel compressing to adjust. No contact with the road means no control.
Old 02-20-2006 | 08:12 PM
porcho heat
Pro

I didnt say I wanted it set really stiff, Just stiffer than what it is now, with the adjustibility that the Leda's offer on all 4 corners.

Thanks for the info, though.

Quick Reply: Newbie suspension question