Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's using a solid trans mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's using a solid trans mount?

Anyone using one on the street? any problems or excessive noise? Mine is bad and making noise when I take off. I know on some vehicles a solid trans mount and rubber motor mounts can bust the trans case, but thats on traditional RWD cars. Or if anyone has a good used one drop me a line
Old 02-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the 944, the engine and transmission are mounted directly to each other via the central tube (torque tube). A twist (by way of torque either by acceleration or deceleration) at either end not reciprocated by the other will cause undue stress of the mating points (central tube fore and aft bell housings).

Additionally, the 944 transaxle is already known for its high noise operation (box of rocks, etc) - this noise would then be further amplified through the hard coupling of a solid mount.

Aside from this conventional wisdom, adding a solid mount to an otherwise stock and street-driven car gains no advantage. With the new OE unit costing you more than $200 (assuming you own 85.5+ 944), it may be worthwhile to find a responsible used version.

IMHO, solid mounts are for all-out race cars, if that.

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to respectfully disagree with Skip.

The Solid Transmission mount really isn't that bad as far as vibration but it does increase the noise of the transmission (I find it sounds pretty cool). It also helps a ton with wheel hop problem I had on my 944 when accelerating in the first 2 gears and on that basis I think that its a worthwhile upgrade for a street car.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a similar note, I don't see why the Porsche engineers decided that one center mount was better than 2!?

The turbo cars have one center mount, N/A cars have 2.

I am messing with trying to strengthen the stock rubber mounts with 3M windoe weld, It is suppoed to make them like polyurethane like strength.

I wonder if have all 3 would help any??
Old 03-05-2006, 04:09 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can get ahold of the NA mounts is really easy to swap from a single mount to dual mounts
Old 03-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Ward
On a similar note, I don't see why the Porsche engineers decided that one center mount was better than 2!?

I am messing with trying to strengthen the stock rubber mounts with 3M windoe weld, It is suppoed to make them like polyurethane like strength.

You can actually order polyurethane in a couple different Shore hardnesses from McMaster Carr if you want to do something like that.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Ward

All late 944 models have one central mount-point for the transmission. The early cars have two mount-points.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:04 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct, but the point where it mounts to the tranny can be swapped to take the dual mounts but I dont know if the body will have the mount holes.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:48 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't be to difficult to retro fit them. install them on the trans and mark the location for the mounting holes on the cross member. prop the trans and remove the crossmember and drill the holes. I'd probably over-kill it and weld on a backing plate with nuts welded to that.

Quick Reply: who's using a solid trans mount?