Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement bolts for camshaft saddles on 16v head

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:49 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Even if the new Porsche bolts are allen, they're still $3.06 more expensive than generic stuff. I know, they're precision engineered and tested, but to save $60 I'm certain enough that regular bolts will do the job.

Next time I need a good tool I'll check out snap-on's site - thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A few of the bolts *are* allen head from the factory, the ones that hold the front and rear bridge that carry the seals. These bolts are visible even with the valve cover on.

The outside diameter of the head of both bolts is not the same.
The allen bolts are smaller, less contact suface spread under torque.

Whether this would matter or not....

I replace with factory triple square bolts and as far as I know they *are* still available but if you point out the front cam seal bridge bolts to the parts guy, you'll definitely get allens.

TS
Old 02-10-2006, 05:11 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The bolts you're talking about are still OK - I'm just talking about the triple square head bolts. Yes, my new ones have SLIGHTLY smaller heads, so just a little less contact area under torque, but the washers I'm using are the same size as before, and the bolt heads are plenty thick (and taller) so they can take the torque. I too would prefer to just use Porsche bolts, but given that I will never strip an allen bolt with my own tools, and the $60 savings, I can tolerate a disproPORSCHEnal replacement of hardware.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yea, I figured they would be ok (the allens) but the point I was addressing is that if someone mistakenly used that bolt a an example to order the full set, then they would get all allens and may have thought the triple square bolts were discontinued.
I'm not 100% sure they are or not, they were still triple squares last time I bought some around a year ago.
I just recived 9 bolts for the pressure plate to flywheel just yesterday, triple square, a larger dimension bolt in 8.9 grade (iirc) from Paragon Products wih Porsche part #'s for around $1.40 each.
Dealers aren't prone to give a discount to the average Joe so $3.00+ each is list likely list price.

The extra "tallness" of the allens really doesn't benefit the application by any measure and the only concern I raised was the diameter of the comparable heads, the triple square giving a larger clamping surface.

The caps are doweled if I remember correctly and allens probably won't pose a problem, I just can't see how the shop manual torque value can be applied to a bolt with less contact surface.

The washers you're using may make everything ok.

Make sure to follow the factory torque on the tensioner retaining bolts as they're easy to strip the threads and require way less torque than you'd guess.

Liked the "disproPORSCHEnal" play on words.....lol

Good luck.

TS
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

hell yeah use the cheap bolts. i replaced all of mine with allen bolts of the black-anodized or hardened variety, same size and pitch. work great.

Quick Reply: Replacement bolts for camshaft saddles on 16v head