Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redneck Ingenuity

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006 | 09:10 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Woulda sucked if the tree had some unseen internal damage and decided tug-of-war wasn't his thing.

Now the concrete filled steel parking posts would be my choice, less noticeable if it comes out of the ground. And if it does, stick it back in and beat feet.
Old 02-06-2006 | 11:37 PM
tomrc
Pro

I actually used a post to pull out the front bumper a touch. I got sick of looking at one side being pushed in. Now it's almost even, good enough for the casual looker.
Old 02-07-2006 | 12:50 PM
RMills944
Drifting

HAHA - been there!

Of course it was on my brother's $500 chevy sprint which got the front bumper/lights/grill ripped off by a suburban as he stuck the nose of the car a little too far out into traffic. The front clip in front of the tires was about 1 foot to the side of where it should have been. We pulled the front panels and pounded them close to straight, but the body of the car was still off, so the panels wouldn't hang right.

We simply took the car, parked it against a curb and took his truck and parked it purpendicular to the car about 20 feet away. We then put a steel pipe downinside the engine compartment (yeah, it actually fit with that massive .98 liter engine) and hooked both ends of the pipe to a chain and winched it close to straight.
Now, the fenders were close to fitting, but just didn't quite line up. A few bars of scrap steel and a welder fixed that one! Bam! Looks like... well... less like ***! At that point, there was a problem that as the bumper was ripped from the car, amazingly all the bolt holes in the bumper seemed to disappear! Well, a few sheet-metal screws fixed that too...
Last problem - lights. don't really need to be good as long as they light up at this point. Well, we took some of the left over off-road lights and wired them up quickly (didn't want to spend that much time on a $500 hooptie) and they got the job done nicely (probably better than stock!).
Now, the U-shaped radiator amazingly held fluid still, so we didn't want to mess with that, but the fan was in about a billion pieces in someone's yard. Easy solution - turn the car off at intersections. I will gladly say I never drove that car and it was about 4 months later that it met it's inevitable death when it ate its wheel bearing badly enough to need a new spindle. We sved what we could and the scrap yard took the rest seeing as a spindle would have cost as much as the car.

Quick Reply: Redneck Ingenuity