Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006 | 03:38 AM
Forest337
Cruisin'

Default Sunroof help?

So, after three years of wanting and waiting, I finally got to drive my own 944 today (after a little engine swap fun, mind you....) Well worth the wait.

I'm sure I'm going to draw some heat from this one, but I have a question about sunroof operation. I have the power sunroof and have been unable to revove it. The switch which lifts the rear of the sunroof works fine, but no other controls seem to cause anything to happen. It could be that I'm just being a moron here, but I think there is something physically (or electrically) wrong with this system. Even if it seems ridiculous, could someone describe the basic procedure for removing the roof panel?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2006 | 05:32 AM
todzilla
Racer

I'm a newb so I won't give ya hell and scream 'SEARCH!" ...but it is a bit odd.

You have to have your ignition key at a specific detent (I think the second or third 'click' - before actual ignition), and hit the switch in the opposite direction of what you'd normally do to open the roof (as a sunroof). This should release the rear two latches allowing you to push the rear of the roof up with no attachments (you'll hear a motor whirring if you did it right, but only til it releases the roof)

Then simply pop open the front two latches at the visors and gently lift it out. To re-install, do the exact reverse. I may be a bit off in step 1 as I'm sitting at home and have only had my car 2 weeks but I have played with it in anticipation of popping that big boy off the first sign of sun!!

Good luck...................and if you don't have luck, either your roof needs service or my advice is flawed - then it's serach time again!!
Old 02-05-2006 | 05:54 AM
gratian
Racer

Check roof latches and plastic pinions in there.Mine break in a winter(the roof was frozen and a friend touch the switch).Also remove carpet and plastic cover in luggage compartiment (left side) and check if everithing is ok (there is a link on cable that usualy can break)
Old 02-05-2006 | 12:50 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

To get the sunroof to unlock you need to turn the ignition key to the "On" (First position) and then press the sunroof switch to "Open". The sunroof drive should open the sunroof a little higher than normal. Unlatch the front latches and you can lift the sunroof out.

For a full description of how the sunroof works and how to fix it, click the following link: Sun Roof Operation
Old 02-05-2006 | 11:56 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Yea you have to read the owner's manual on that. It is a bit counter-intuitive.

Quick Reply: Sunroof help?