Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006 | 03:01 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Default Installing Front Speakers

I'd make a pictorial out of this, and had planned to until I realized the Blau's I bought would fit a car with power windows, without any shims, etc. The Blaupunkt PCxb46's were purchased about 3 months ago and now its the rainy day to install them. I had originally yanked the stock speakers when I bought the car, they had either dry-rotted from moisture, if thats normal for 10+ year old speakers, or possibly water leaking into the door from faulty window scrapers.

The original speakers were mounted in between the black plastic mount for the speaker grill and the grill. There was no protrusion, the center of the speaker was no more than 1/16" in. from the actual mount on the speaker, so the grills fit on perfect. Well, I tried doing the same thing for these, figuring mounting a speaker to bare metal might give unwanted side effects and some distortion but on the Blau's the center is about 1/4" from the rest of the speaker. I can only formulate that the speaker is supposed to be mounted to the door, then the speaker mount and grill go on top. In this case, should some type of rubber washer be installed between the speaker and door?

As far as moisture problems, has anyone gone so far as to install a baffle to protect the speakers, or am I just being paranoid. The door shells are DRY as can be on the inside, I have no reason to believe water is leaking in. I do know Crutchfield sells baffles for a speaker this size, but it might add height and mounting on thick rubber might cause the mounting to look a little off.
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2006 | 05:47 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

5 minutes of your time... anyone?
Old 02-04-2006 | 06:06 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

You should be fine mounting right onto the metle but just make sure that the speaker wont interfer with the power windows sense its going to be going into the door a little bit further. However if it was me i'd at least make a rubber gasket to go between the speaker and the door to keep it from rattling.
Old 02-04-2006 | 06:35 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

No go. With the speakers mounted and the grill mount on top, the grill won't fit down because the speaker is actually recessed into the door too much. And I wondered why I found one lone spacer on the last speakers.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2006 | 06:36 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Where do I find more of those ^ at?
Old 02-04-2006 | 08:09 PM
Zporsche944
Racer

isent there a rubber thing that keeps water from getting at the speaker?? well at least there was on my car...
Old 02-04-2006 | 08:15 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Nope, which doesn't make sense since theres plastic covering the door shell under the panel. Some sort of moisture guard. I might just buy the baffles and hope those will act as the spacer I need, but it will be a TIGHT fit with the power windows.
Old 02-04-2006 | 11:15 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

"dry-rotted from moisture" sorry, this makes no sense. If you have moisture, how can it be dry?

Just bolt the in against the METAL, they will be fine.
Old 02-05-2006 | 02:40 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

The speaker grills won't fit on, so I guess I need spacers.
Old 02-05-2006 | 03:03 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Is this on an early or late style car?

I was able to get similar speakers by Blaupunkt to fit into my doors without any problems at all. They are a different model, but look exactly the same and i would bet have the same dimensions. The speakers came with a black plastic spacer. I stuck the speaker into the door, stuck the spacer ontop, then put the stock grill on. Using the supplied black screws (Which were fairly long) it screwed right in without any problems.

Unfortunetley i dont have any pictures of it, can take some tomorrow if you need.

Also the speaker holes have a plastic / rubber cover, this in my opinion is suitable to protecting the speaker from any moisture. Have had them in my car for over a year now and never had problems. Had them in my 924S also, never had problems for about a year also, still never had problems!
Old 02-05-2006 | 12:02 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

I actually have those plastic spacers that came with the speakers. 1/8" and plastic. You just put the spacer in between the speaker and the mount?

Quick Reply: Installing Front Speakers