Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Help on a No-Start Gratefully Accepted

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006 | 10:37 AM
WGB
Track Day

Default Any Help on a No-Start Gratefully Accepted

Hi All,

I have just purchased a 1985 944 with the early specification and dash. It was delivered new in Australia and is right hand drive with an original factory alarm fitted but not functional.
By law in Western Australia it must be fitted with an immobiliser so I stripped out the dash and used the opportunity to tidy up the wiring.

There were several points in the fuses and relays where wires have been soldered together and I assume this was to get around the non-functioning alarm. It is a 5 speed manual but appears to have the DME unit from an automatic with no water damage.
I broke the circuit for the starter motor and the fuel pump to use with the immobiliser and after separating the wires from fuses 1 and 2 (Which had been soldered together) on the auxiliary fuse board the immobiliser then controlled the fuel pump correctly as an immobiliser should.
I tested everything and the motor started perfectly and immobilised perfectly.
After putting the car back together it will not start but fuel pump runs and starter turns the motor when the immobiliser is turned off.
Also when the main beam is used either with the flasher or when main beam is turned on the Fuel gauge goes to full and the tacho flickers.
I assume I've disturbed an earth somewhere but wonder if anybody has a quick answer before I go through it all again.

Also does any body know what the resistor bolted to the bottom of the of the Aircon housing (Below the false floor panel at floor height) does. It has been jumped by somebody and the unit was functioning fine but I don't know what it was supposed to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start all over again.

Bill Babe
Old 02-02-2006 | 11:16 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Resistor on the fresh air fan is for the three speeds. Check the switch on the console too as these have a bad habit of melting from the fan motor loads.

Fuel pump should not run unless the engine is being cranked or is running.

Me thinks you will be removing the dash again very soon. Here is an online location for the early 944 (US) wiring: http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/elec...l_diagrams.htm

The 83

Quick Reply: Any Help on a No-Start Gratefully Accepted