Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Saved another from being parted out. 89 S2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:27 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT'S ALIVE!!!! Saved another from being parted out. 89 S2

The guy I got it from said it was probley only good for parting out. It had a cracked head, and the replacement head that he purchased for it, got damaged in shipping. Broke one of the cams. He had spent a fortune on it up to this point, getting it ready to be a DE car.
new belts, rollers, seals, h2o pump
new valve seals, tensioner pad, head gasket, (head rebuilt in other words)
recent clutch,
oil cooler seals
after market Koni's rebuilt, H and R front springs
CV joint's rebuilt
new motor mounts
new tranny fluid
all new brake pads
new plug wires, and rotor cap and button
Andy came down and helped me a couple of Sat back. Had everything back together, and then could not find the cam key!!!! Order the .80 part. got it fired up, and it runs great!!!!! Been driving it around everyday for a couple of weeks now. It sure feels better to put one back on the road, rather than send it away in boxes to you guys. I'm even more convinced that only the wrecked cars should be parted. Most folks would have parted this car out, NOT ME.
It has the yellow lens on the front fog lights, if anyone has a set of clear they want to trade even, let me know.
Sad thing, I will have to sale it now. Have to make way for another!!!!!
These pics aren't the best, I will try to get some better ones when it ever it quits raining again.
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

That wasn't the $500 car was it? ;P
Cause that is nice for a parts car!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:46 AM
FLanderhol
Instructor

Awesome that sounds to be a great car! Could you PM me this information How much you want for it? how many miles? Is it standard or automatic? Hows the interior? Does it have the stock S2 wheels? What option codes does it have?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:45 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

So what did you have to do to the head to get it straitened out?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:58 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Todd,

The car looks great. I will be moving to Bowling Green KY in May and man it will sure be nice to know that a 'lister won't be far away to help me wrench on my car. Great job getting that car running, a rare one like the S2 is not a car I like to see parted.

Brandon
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
tod84944
Drifting

No, this wasn't the 500.00 car. I was about 30 min late getting it. Makes me sick to think about it. I even offered the 1K for it, and he had to turn me down.
The head that got dropped, it was sent to a machine shop to have everything lapped in, and cleaned up where the cam got shoved back. I used a matching set of cams from the cracked head. The front bearing bridege on the dropped head got broke, so he used the bearing bridge from the cracked head. He set up the line boring machine without it on, with the bearing brideges on, then lined bore the bridge with the the rest of the head, on both sides. A machine shop that builds race motors did the work. My Porsche mechanic then cleaned up all of the valves, relapped everything, and put the head back together (traded him some used parts for his labor!!!)
The only bad part of the car, over the years, it has some love taps on the rear quarters, and the repairs were pretty crappy. Sometime or another, it has been repainted. Looks got from a couple of yards away, then up close you can see where they did a crappy job with the tape. The airbag dashed was cracked to he.., replaced it with a non-airbag dash with no cracks at all. Replaced the turn-signal assembley with the correct one. Running wise, the car is like new. The body just leaves a little to be desired. Selling it, I priced it with the cosmetic issues factored in.

Quick Reply: IT'S ALIVE!!!! Saved another from being parted out. 89 S2