Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"nice ferrari"

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006 | 01:58 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

I normally get the usual...

"your truck is a POS, and stupid!"...when in reality, there is a kid with the EXACT same truck at school, when his is really the POS. I keep my truck cleaner then a chrome whistle, and you'd think it just rolled off the line if it wasn't for my faded paint I have brought back to life, except for the orange spot on the hood.

Apples to Oranges?

3 of my friends tried to pick my truck up, and they couldn't do it. One being able to squat 300+, and the others being pretty big boys. My truck weighs in at around 2700lbs, so it's not as light as you think. I think if I had another 20hp, I could chirp in 3rd cus if I really get at it, it kicks pretty hard in 3rd at around 55 (yes I know, slow as all get out). I have roasted up past 60 in 2nd gear before, then again I started at around 5 mph, and wheel cut to the left. She left a nice, single, black mark that almost connected to make a circle.

944's shouldn't have any problem chirping in second, and should be on the verge of chirping in 3rd, no matter the tires.
Old 01-29-2006 | 02:24 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

oh yea well i burnt rubber in my moms FWD toyota sienna! man that freaked everyone out. the hill i was on was pretty close to 60-70 degrees, and some wacko pulls up right behind me while im sitting at a stop sign. i had never encountered a hill like this before and was afraid of rolling back into them. so as soon as i let my foot off the brake i stamped on the gas and sat there for about five seconds with the front wheels spinning (wet pavement). ahhh man that was hilarious. id be afraid to do that in my 944 because undoubtably something would break.
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:38 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kcryan
My Allante looks very pininfarina-inspirid...oh wait its pininfarina inspired, designed, and built
What year is it? My father has a black 1989.
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:44 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by X 944 X
I have to disagree with you, my 83 will spin 1st, 2nd and WILL chirp 3rd. I can guarantee my 83 is lighter than your car in particular. If there are any doubts PLEASE let me know. this is on 16" Fuchs, with PLENTY of meat on them.
if you think I am lying i can have my room mate post. MY car will do it with a passenger in the car however, I dont think it would do it if i had people in the back as well.

I have a fiberwerks front end (saves about 85lbs).
MSDS headers, MUCH lighter than stock (15lbs?)
no power steering, AC delete, spare removed.
no airbags...

you have to remember the early cars were the lightest, with less safety equipment.

FR wilk chip, SFR exhaust (5-8 lbs lighter), K&N drop in (STOCK BOX!!! VERY IMPORTANT!) and a sport grind cam.

now, i am not saying my car will lay 3rd and keep spinning, however it WILL chirp 3rd, every and ANY time I want it to.

My friend dan who has a burgundy STOCK turbo, is amazed at how mine can ALMOST keep up on I-83 until he hits about 110 or so. The NA lacks guts and ANY power when you shift into 5th.

His car is pulling away from mine the whole time, but its not like I am getting my *** handed to me. (Like I did last week by an R32 VW....god....dammit...)

anyways. MY CAR chirps 3rd easy. No boost, no BS.
Mine too! It's an 83 with 16" fuchs
Old 01-29-2006 | 04:00 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Originally Posted by barelyrunshalfthetime
oh yea well i burnt rubber in my moms FWD toyota sienna! man that freaked everyone out. the hill i was on was pretty close to 60-70 degrees, and some wacko pulls up right behind me while im sitting at a stop sign. i had never encountered a hill like this before and was afraid of rolling back into them. so as soon as i let my foot off the brake i stamped on the gas and sat there for about five seconds with the front wheels spinning (wet pavement). ahhh man that was hilarious. id be afraid to do that in my 944 because undoubtably something would break.
Do you have any idea what you just said? Go take a look at a protractor to get an idea of what angle you are claiming. Your car would slide straight back down if it ever got on that incline. 90deg is straight up. 0deg is flat.
Old 01-29-2006 | 04:23 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

ok ok maybe i exxagerated A LITTLE lol, but i didnt have a protracter in front of me. it was more like 40 or 50 i suppose. if anyone has ever been to canandaigua lake in new york (its up in rochester, the fingerlakes), Bopple Hill is the hill i am refering to. im sure someone here does because i have seen a white 924 when ive been up that way a couple of times. anyways it goes up at a very steep rate, maybe 30 degrees, then at the top theres maybe a 20 foot stretch of road where the slope is near 40 or 50 degrees and there is a stop sign. thats where it happened.
Old 01-29-2006 | 05:02 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are still way off. Most automatic shift cars cannot ascend a 40 *percent* grade (less than 25 degrees.) A manual 944 can make it up a 60% grade (about 30 degrees) in first.

-Joel.
Old 01-29-2006 | 05:13 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

well maybe my perception and memory of that day is off by some, srry. it was just the steepest hill ive ever been on. it felt like i was on a much steeper hill than i really was i guess.
Old 01-29-2006 | 05:51 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Just a word about chirping the tires,

My 83 could chirp the shift from 2nd to 3rd on most dry pavement surfaces. That was a very lightly optioned 83 with recent shocks/struts, and fresh 225/50/15 Dunlop SP 8000s on 15" phone dials. The car had well over 100k miles on it, but the head was shaved a little and had a valve job at around 65k. But it was a real strong runner, and smooth. Much quicker than later NAs I have driven. I didn't make a practice of driving like that, but did on occasion just to see that it still could.
Old 01-29-2006 | 06:06 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Yea, 60-70 is quite steep.

The old Edsle(sp?) was/ has been the only car to ever be able to drive up a 45* angle.

I think the steepest hill in town is only around 31-32*, I can normally get up it in 2nd.

Back to topic...

When I was younger (am I even allowed to say that, considerin I am 'young'? ", I could name around every single sports car and production car, followed by prices and/or how much power they made. Well, to be exact I didn't know what a 924/944/968 was, I just knew the higher end cars like 911's, Countach's, 959's, 997's, you catch my drift. I have now aquired the skill where I can name almost any car at night, by just seeing it's headlights, from around 40-50 yards away. It helps when your out past curfew, and on the lookout for cops!
Old 01-29-2006 | 06:08 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
I normally get the usual...

"your truck is a POS, and stupid!"...when in reality, there is a kid with the EXACT same truck at school, when his is really the POS. I keep my truck cleaner then a chrome whistle, and you'd think it just rolled off the line if it wasn't for my faded paint I have brought back to life, except for the orange spot on the hood.

Apples to Oranges?

3 of my friends tried to pick my truck up, and they couldn't do it. One being able to squat 300+, and the others being pretty big boys. My truck weighs in at around 2700lbs, so it's not as light as you think. I think if I had another 20hp, I could chirp in 3rd cus if I really get at it, it kicks pretty hard in 3rd at around 55 (yes I know, slow as all get out). I have roasted up past 60 in 2nd gear before, then again I started at around 5 mph, and wheel cut to the left. She left a nice, single, black mark that almost connected to make a circle.

944's shouldn't have any problem chirping in second, and should be on the verge of chirping in 3rd, no matter the tires.
Read what I wrote.

Pick up trucks don't have much weight over the rear when they are not loaded with cargo and are thus easy to break the back loose, especially with narrow tires and a clutch dump.
Old 01-29-2006 | 08:23 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Read what I wrote.

Pick up trucks don't have much weight over the rear when they are not loaded with cargo and are thus easy to break the back loose, especially with narrow tires and a clutch dump.
I understand this, but 3 of my biggest friends could only raise the shocks. I'm not saying they aren't light, but they still weigh quite a bit.

Since having a 2,000 mile clutch, a dump only comes maybe, once a month. I did however have a fetish of chirping in second when I first got the truck back because it wouldn't do it on the old clutch. I prefer just flooring it around a stop sign and smokin em, or just be idling along, slam on the gas, then hit the brakes!

My tires are also 195/75 14...is that small?

Jesus, some 944's have 275's...my god!
Old 01-29-2006 | 08:38 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I understand this, but 3 of my biggest friends could only raise the shocks. I'm not saying they aren't light, but they still weigh quite a bit.

Since having a 2,000 mile clutch, a dump only comes maybe, once a month. I did however have a fetish of chirping in second when I first got the truck back because it wouldn't do it on the old clutch. I prefer just flooring it around a stop sign and smokin em, or just be idling along, slam on the gas, then hit the brakes!

My tires are also 195/75 14...is that small?

Jesus, some 944's have 275's...my god!
What happened, did your tires get excited and grow? Because one page ago in this same thread you wrote:

My 114hp truck can just scratch in 2nd, but I also have a 2,000 mile clutch, and like 145/15's haha. Yea, my tires are only 4 inches wide I believe.
You are a pro at getting into debates that you can't back out of. Just give up now. Otherwise someone could get mad at you and glue a penny to your window.
Old 01-29-2006 | 09:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Talking

Originally Posted by tifosiman
What happened, did your tires get excited and grow? Because one page ago in this same thread you wrote:

You are a pro at getting into debates that you can't back out of. Just give up now. Otherwise someone could get mad at you and glue a penny to your window.

Tifo, you know he will never just be prepared to be called an old crab.

I love it when LilNSweety shares his expertise.

BTW, I got another RX7 today. My first automatic. only 79k miles and a ton of service records. needs a little buffing on the paint, but there is hope. I may trade in the GTO when my mother in law gets her new buick next week. The seller is a friend of a friend and ill. The price was too good to walk away from, and i figured i would throw it in my parents driveway till the GTO lease is up. if the traade in is close to the buyout i will give up the GTO and use this RX7 for a few years. Then i can take the money the GTO lease would have cost and buy one in two years.

Andy, i will shoot a picture of my garage when it is dry outside. dont want to put the new bomber in there next to the porsche if it is wet. then you can smash your head against both hoods.
Old 01-29-2006 | 09:54 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keithr726
What year is it? My father has a black 1989.

Its a Black 1992, so we have the same engine, is he by chance an allante club of america member?

Those are some great cars man, if only i could get a 5 speed one id have no need for a 944

Quick Reply: "nice ferrari"