Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel interference w/rt knee?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:19 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Steering wheel interference w/rt knee?

Hey gang,

My right hand is hitting my rt knee in my '87 944 that I just bought. When I turn, I can't fit my hand past my knee if my hand is on the wheel. Its getting annoying.

I'm about 6'5" and with the way I fit, there's not to many options for adjustments. Otherwise I fit fine, and am loving the car.

Soooo....

Any options out there? I was wondering about a smaller diameter steering wheel, but the stock wheel is already pretty small, and I have manual steering, so the slow speed manuervering would be even harder with a smaller steering wheel.

I was also wondering about a dished steering wheel that would bring the rim 1-2" closer to me, that would help.

Or, I was wondering if anyone has tried an adapter that would bring the stock wheel 1-2" closer.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Ed
Old 01-26-2006, 02:39 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just this week, I picked up a parts car and the PO used to have an aftermarket steering wheel (I think it was Grant) with custom hubs. He kept the custom hubs and went back to stock when he sold the car to me -- I can ask him where he got the hub.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a couple of options....

You can switch to a D-ring type steering wheel. I know Momo has them. But remember that most of the aftermarket steering wheels are 13" to 13-1/2" diameter. The steering wheel will most likely obscure the top left part of your dash display where the water temp gauge is located.

Another option is to use the Momo wheel adapter with an extender ring. I am not sure if they are still available. This moves the steering wheel away from the dash.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel interference w/rt knee?