Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisey Wiper Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Noisey Wiper Motor?

Not sure if mine is noisier than the norm... but when I was sitting at a light this morning, in the rain, I noticed how noisey the wiper motor is. I can clearly hear it, groaning away right in front of the steering wheel.

Are all of them like this? Can / should the motor be lubricated in any way?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:39 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor bearings. Hard to flood (water) your motor with out flooding the airbox and then flooding the interior. But it may have happened. Early 944's are easier to flood. Depending on how mechanical you are the motor bearing(s) can be replaced. Might be best to find a good used motor and replace the one in the car.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:46 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is the 3rd wiper assembly w/ motor that I have had in the car! Original gave up soon after I bought the car, so George (EmilysGrandma George) nicely donated a used assembly, which I installed in '03. It was an '84 dated motor, and never worked right when I engaged the washer--always came on way too soon.

I picked up my latest assembly on ebay last year, and finally installed it last night. It's from an 85.5, and works fine...but I think it might be noisey. Not sure though, since I rarely drive in the rain, and can't remember what my old motor sounded like. At least now, when I pull back on the stalk to use the washer, the sprayer sprays, and THEN the wipers come on. Small victory!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:47 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

All of my cars have a bit of groan to their wiper motors. Just turn up the volume, and keep driving...........
Old 01-23-2006, 02:53 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
All of my cars have a bit of groan to their wiper motors. Just turn up the volume, and keep driving...........
I only notice when standing still, or stuck in traffic. Otherwise, motor/exhaust/tire noise makes it a non-issue!

I also have to determine why my wipers are chattering all over the place (new arms, new blades)!?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wipers chatter like crazy. I went to princess auto and picked up some stiffer springs, but haven't put them in yet. I suspect that will fix them

As far as wiper motor noise... I dunno.
The one on my 951 squeals like.... well, who knows, but it's about as loud as yelling when you're outside of the car, and happens whenever it's wet out and I use them (the only time you need them?). However, when I hit it by accident and it's dry outside, it's very quiet. Even at idle you don't really hear the motor, just the wiper blades on the window.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure my springs need to be stiffer. The arms are brand new, and pretty well stuck to the windshield. It just seems the wipers chatter or streak no matter what I do!

Maybe I need to back the size down to stock, and get the Bosche blades? Smaller and lighter might mean the arms have an easier time pressing them to the windshield?

Quick Reply: Noisey Wiper Motor?