Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:32 AM
qwerty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Stabilizer

has any one ever installed one of these voltage stabilizers in their cars .

Ebay Link .

To my understanding , this thing seems to be just a large capacitor , which makes sense to me to purchase , because every time my thermo fans kick in , I notice my head lights flicker for a split second.

and yes my grounds are fine .
Old 01-23-2006, 10:10 AM
swimmingly
Instructor

hey qwerty,
I don't think the voltage stabilizer will work. The problem with our (and many older cars) is the fact that the alternator's voltage regulator is set to output voltage at 14.0 to 14.1V, which doesn't leave too much room for the battery to sufficiently charge. This means that the battery is constantly robbing current away from the other systems in your car. When your fans turn on or when you run any other high current electrical device, your alternator has trouble keeping up with the current demands because it's already been struggling with charging the battery.

Solution: What you need is a adjustable voltage regulator. This was a popular upgrade on the IceShark product line. You will be able to find these all over the internet and for the most part, they are a direct bolt on replacement onto your standard Bosch alternator. Once you have one of these installed, bump the voltage output of your alternator to 14.5V or so and your battery won't always be drawing current. As a result, the electrical hesitation will seem to be fixed unless there's some other underlying problem. I want to see how a particular one I purchased fairs on my car, then I may be selling them to others in the future.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junk designed to prey on ricers, the "JDM" is often a big hint.

Fixing the underlying causes (bad grounds, old regulator, dying alternator, old battery, weak starter, dirty corroded connections, frayed wires, etc) will do FAR more than a tiny little capacitor.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
qwerty
Track Day

Thanks for the Info Matt
yes using an increased voltage regulator makes much more sense than using a capacitor .

Does anybody have a part number or brand for this voltage regulator or a url pointing to it .

Many Thanks
Robert

Quick Reply: Voltage Stabilizer