Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight problem...in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup that is the fog light relay...damnwhat could be causing the healights to screw up in the center of the dash?

Anyone have a headlight layout/diagram for early cars?

Anyone local want to drop by this weekend to help me figure this out?
Old 04-07-2006, 11:43 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe search for my name. ive been tryign to fix sopme light issues, and "jpk" was helping me out alot. my thread with his tests in it is called can i get wiring help tonight.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Next time the headlights won't go up, try wiggling the relay on the headlight motor. The rubber boot usually rots away that covers the connection and the relay and moisture gets inside both. Sometimes cleaning helps. Replacing the rubber boot is a good idea. They're available on ebay from PicasPorsche, IIRC. About $12.00 plus shipping.

I had the exact same problem you've described and the buzzing stopped and the headlights started working correctly after I cleaned up the connection under the hood. YMMV.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bart
Next time the headlights won't go up, try wiggling the relay on the headlight motor. The rubber boot usually rots away that covers the connection and the relay and moisture gets inside both. Sometimes cleaning helps. Replacing the rubber boot is a good idea. They're available on ebay from PicasPorsche, IIRC. About $12.00 plus shipping.

I had the exact same problem you've described and the buzzing stopped and the headlights started working correctly after I cleaned up the connection under the hood. YMMV.

Thanks! Thats it! I'm getting a new relay from Mid America but where can I get the cover?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

For the headlight relay, genuine or reproduction??
Old 04-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

For the boot try ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...Pr4_PcY_BID_IT

He puts these up several times, another one after one is sold. Don't know how many he has. I've bought several things from this seller and he does very well. I'm not sure if the item is available through a dealer but it may be worth a try. I paid about $18 with shipping from this ebay seller.

For the relay, genuine or aftermarket is good. But be sure to clean the contacts of the plug, also.

I'm not certain this is ALL the trouble you have but it's a start. If the headlights don't come on but they come up, it may be more than this one relay. You may want to unplug and replug the one in the fuse panel under the dash, too. Mine was doing the same thing with the buzzing. Sometimes, the car would just die as soon as I hit the headlight switch. Cleaned the relay plug-ins and the buzzing problem stopped (under the dash).

BTW, those are very common relays. You might try your local O'reilleys or FLAPS first. (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store).

On my car, the headlights came on but wouldn't come up unless I touched the relay under the hood. Then when turning them off, the headlights would shut off but not go down; same deal. When the buzzing started to happen, the lights wouldn't go up or come on, like yours.

I'd clean every relay and plug you can get to, especially under the dash. And all the grounds, too. You'll be amazed at how much better the car performs. If you've ever had moisture inside the cabin from a water leak it will cause the corrosion and make the connections heat up considerably due to resistance.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bart; 04-08-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:27 PM
spikeone
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to replace the rubber boot over the headlight relay. How do I remove the pins from the connector to install the new boot. I have seen Molex pin extractors for 0.093 inch diameter pin mounting holes (PC-specific connectors), but the connector on my 83 944 has smaller mounting holes. Is a connector tool available for this job? Or perhaps a home made tool?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It really sound like you have high resistance in the headlight switch, based on what you call a buzzing sound. Weird thing with these cars is that the headlight electrics are separated right and left. Electrically there is not a lot going on in the switch but what happens over time is corrosion inside the switch. I haven't tried pulling one apart so I can't offer an opinion if its even doable but I'm pretty sure thats were your problem is coming from.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Rich, any chance you could scan those assembly line photos and post them? I'd sure like to see them.

Quick Reply: Headlight problem...in the dash?