Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain Issue and Battery drain then Alarm horn going off for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery Drain Issue and Battery drain then Alarm horn going off for no reason

It seems that since I installed a replacement fan blower relay in my car, and not having driven the car in a week, my battery is dead. I tried charging the battery, and let the car sit overnight. This morning I try to start the car and it cranks 1-1/2 cranks then stops. So I hook up my Craftsman Battery Charger, and about 30min later when i'm sitting in the car, the Alarm horn goes off. Now I don't even have the key to disable it, much less can arm the alarm. I had to disconnect the + terminal to get the alarm to shut off. I thought maybe the horn relay/fuse combo controlled it, then connected the terminal, and the alarm goes off again.

I also notice the inside fans seem to be on constant power as I can turn them on and off with the key out of the ignition? Is that right??

-Frank
'84 944
Old 01-21-2006, 08:53 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be a bad ignition switch or a sticking relay.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:21 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

So yesterday morning, I did a warranty exchange on my Sears Diehard International battery and late last night, threw it in after not being able to sleep knowing my 944 has an idiotic gremlin I didn't figure out this past Saturday. Well I connected the terminals and counted to 30sec...nothing. So content with myself, I put the key in the ignition, shift into Neutral and then HONKKKKKKK!!!

I jumped out and disconnected the new battery scratching my head. Well as a temporary solution, I went in behind the cowl and disconnected the Hella horn responsible for making the alarm sound. Taped off the wiring in the cowl, reconnected the battery and started the car up. So it looks like our factory alarm did not have ignition kill and circumventing is pretty straightforward

I'm still up in the air as to why this happened, best I could figure out is the alarm control module might need replacement. I'm just glad I can work on my car again without fear of causing a ruckus. Now I'm off to find my power drain source if still any.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Issue and Battery drain then Alarm horn going off for no reason