Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do to keep the windows from fogging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 06:28 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yellowline- that's exactly what i was thinking.

everyone else, thanks for the replies. it's good to know i can take a 5 minute hiatus from OT and come here and get an answer quickly.

any word on those new tensioning wipers from bosch?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:33 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any suggestions about the fogging other than running the A/C.

For cleaning the windshield, dish soap/water followed by a scrubbing with Bon Ami cleanser (not Ajax or any other kind - only Bon Ami) something about the grade of talc they use as an abrasive makes it a great glass polish.

RainX does wonders on keeping water beading on the windshied. It usually just gets swepped off by airflow if you're going fast enough.

I find it helps to wipe down the wiper blades with rubbing alcohol - I usually do this every month or so. Just wet a bit of paper towel and pinch the blade between your fingers and pull it through. I'm running three year old OEM blades on my Saab daily driver, and the Bosch blades on my truck - I don't remember how old they are, but they still work well.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:02 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't breath?

Seriously RainX makes a new anti-fog that I have purchased, but not yet applied. Try it out, and if it works I'll use mine. Let me know when you stop holding your breath
Old 01-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the recirculation button on the climate control is not engsaged too.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:18 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't tried it but maybe a tub of this stuff would help. Some people with RV's use it when in storage.

Damp Rid
Old 01-19-2006, 07:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Juan,
As long as you have water pooling on the floor you need to address this first. Water soaked carpet near your seat bolts can cause some pretty nasty corrosion resulting in broken rail bolts. You need to first find your leak and quickly before mold is your next problem. You don't have a humidity problem you have a leak!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I always knew you were full of hot air.....

Even a pin sized hole in the heater core will cause extra moisture in the cabin. My Audi had that issue, new heater core fixed it.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thSLP
Yep, gotta quit breathing so heavy...
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Normally, low heat on fresh air does it, on the windshield and doors. Thats to get it defrosted in the morning. I sometimes crack a window to get it to dissappear as well, but thats after the inside of the glass has heated up...and yea...

I also only drive a truck with maybe less than 22 cubic feet of room in the cab! So keeping my windows all defogged isn't hard.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:13 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Juan,
As long as you have water pooling on the floor you need to address this first. Water soaked carpet near your seat bolts can cause some pretty nasty corrosion resulting in broken rail bolts. You need to first find your leak and quickly before mold is your next problem. You don't have a humidity problem you have a leak!

i'll see if i can locate a shop vac type thing and dry out all the moisture.

last night i just left a few rolls of bounty towels on the carpet. it seemed to work. it's going to stay inside overnight to see if it's leaking or if it was just some weird isolated incident.

is there any reason it would only happen on the passenger's side?

it never goes all the way to the rear carpet. (behind the pass. seat rails) if i put my hand under the seat, it's not there. it's only on the front to middle area on the carpet.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use fog-x made by the same people who make rain-x, it helps a bit well in VA's humid summers. I find the best improvement however is cleaning the glass with asatone to get rid of the oils and dirt.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:23 PM
silverbullet
Pro

I'm just too immature to take this thread seriously...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have that much fog, I'd say you probably need a window seal or rear hatch seal - there's a lot of air getting in somewhere!
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

It only happens on the passenger side because of the battery tray. pull out the battery and tap around there with a screw driver or something. youll find a hole!

BTW: Kuhl951 is very right about the seat bolts. My passenger side seat was rusted in place. Couldnt move it back and forth...took a bit of effort to break it free...eventaully it will get to the point where the bolts holding the seat rails to the car will break...
Old 01-20-2006, 02:53 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Newspaper works great with windex for absolutley streak free glass.

Usually if my windows are fogged up badly, ill just crack the window and turn the defrost on. Usually clears up fairly quickly.

Heres another glass question, how do you guys get grease / oil off the windshield? I think its grease / oil atleast...ive tried everything from carb cleaner to windex, 409 degreaser (for kitchen surfaces)...etc. Maybe its just my wiper arm springs being weak from 17 years of use, but i get these streaks (and areas where the wipers dont 'wipe' well) across the glass making it impossible to see out of in heavy rain. Yes, have brand new wiper blades...Anco. I am to cheap to buy the Bosch, figure i replace them every 2-3 months so whats the point of paying so much more!

On another note, has anyone checked out those new 'Ultimate' wiper blades by Valeo? They come on alot of the new Mercedes....very expensive but i hear they are awsome!

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

Acetone will get EVERYTHING off of the windshield.

Most likely you need wiper arms, I replaced mine a couple of years ago and it made a world of difference.

It about broke my heart at the time (I'm cheap) but I got a pair at Tweeks for $85. It seems that Porsche updated the wiper arms in 88, the new design has 2 smaller springs. p/n 944 628 028 02.

Cheap as I am, it was money well spent. You shouldn't have to replace the blades but every 2 or 3 years.

Quick Reply: What do you do to keep the windows from fogging?