Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best torsion bar for 250lbs spring ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Owain
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank944
What do you think of the suspension package described here:

http://members.rennlist.com/944sandmore/stick.htm

-Koni's all around
-Weltmeister 250 lb/in. springs
-Weltmeister 26mm Rear Torsion Bars
-Weltmeister 28mm front sway bar
-Weltmeister 22 mm Rear sway bar
-225/50/15 tires on four corners

According to you the rear torsion bars would be too soft and the car would have a tendancy to understeer, am I right? 28 mm would be better, and by the way, what do you think of weltmeister sway bars?
Dunno for sure, but at first glance it looks like it would understeer a lot. The same size tires all 'round will mitigate that a little, although I'd think you still might set the sway bars drastically opposite to get the car to rotate if you were doing an autox. I guess it depends on what your uses for the car were. Hopefully someone with a similar setup will chime in.

I have 225s on the front and 245s on the rear to help to keep the rear in line and I find that I need to run a little more air in the front tires to fine-tune the traction rearward a little more. I also have 968 M030 sway bars with the rear set at the middle position. That gives me some adjustability in either direction, still, although I think the handling is great as it is

I have a friend who has the Weltmeister sways (I'm not sure if they're the same one's in your list) and he thinks they're great. The front one's are adjustable by sliders rather than discrete positions so they can be set anywhere in their range. That's a nice feature for fine-tuning, although maybe overkill for the street. The hardware looks very beefy.

I'm not sure if that helps you any, but there it is
Old 01-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Frank944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help! I'm presently thinking of a suspension setup for my 83 944 for some autocross, DE and track time and I've got to drive it on streets to get to the event! It has to be ajustable in many ways to ajust it to perfection and yet has to be affordable. If someone knows a winner's setup for my use let me know!

Quick Reply: Best torsion bar for 250lbs spring ?