Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POSSIBLE Group Buy on Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006 | 11:29 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

First let me qualify my comments by saying I am not slamming Tim's product. Fit may not be the best, but the build quality/welds are very nice. I knew it would be louder than stock and I am OK with that.

Originally Posted by Matt H
I hate to bring this back up but it appears you guys have nothing to compare to.
How do you figure? I had a stock exhaust, then I removed that and ran a pipe with a 2.5" x 24" x 4" disk Supertrapp, now I am running the SFR with the round muffler. SFR is the loudest of the bunch.

Any time you take a 2" pipe and increase it an inch then take the baffles out of the muffler it is going to be LOUD.
Stock is pretty close to 2 1/4 on an NA, or at least it was on mine. Therefore the SFR catback on mine is only 1/4 inch larger.

I just dont want anyone to get the impression that this is an issue with the SFR system, it is an issue with any exhaust on any car. It doesnt matter to me if you buy from Tim, from Lindsey, from some outfit in GB, or from a local welder. I have no stake in any of them. I just dont want you to be dissapointed when your X brand exhaust is too loud. Switching it to Y brand (all things being equal) is not likely to change that a whole lot.

Summary - if you want quiet exhaust, stick with stock. If not, pick whichever exhaust makes you feel better at night.
That I do not disagree with and have not meant to give the impression that I disagree with that sentiment. All I am saying is that in my experience, with the round muffler on this thing, it is loud. And regarding Mike's 951, he used to be able to drive up to my house and I wouldn't realize he was there until I heard the door close. Now I hear him clearly as he pulls down my street.

If you want quiet, leave your car stock or do what Robby did and weld an additional can in the system.
Old 01-20-2006 | 06:33 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

2.5" Borla or Bullet on a S2.
Old 01-20-2006 | 06:43 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

I should have known to just keep my mouth shut. My apologies.
Old 01-20-2006 | 07:44 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Definately go with the 2.5 for an N/A or a 3" for a turbo!

I went with the Borla, and love it. The exhaust sounds great, just a little loud for every day use. I love it on mine. The sound is amazing despite the volume.
Old 01-20-2006 | 07:47 PM
RMills944
Drifting

I think I have a video of it, but nowhere to host it. I just have to find it...
Old 01-21-2006 | 04:25 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

As for turbos being quieter than NA's, etc...

I haven't compared a whole lot of them side by side or anything & am not sure how much one dB really is, but I do have R&T's test of 5 dif Porsche's from '87... The NA showed noise levels of: idle- 59, max 1st- 76, constant 30mph- 65, const 50mph- 68, const 70mph- 72. The only dif in the Turbos were at: idle- 58 & max 1st- 74. That's 1dB at idle & 2dB at max 1st & the rest were dead-on even. Looks like my memory (as I posted eariler the dif was ~2dB in most areas) was pretty good... Either way, this might not tell us much for how these cars have held up over the years as the state of tune at ~20yrs avg gives an incredible amount of varaibles... Anyway, in the R&T test, no 924's were tested, the 928 was the quietest, &, the 911 Turbo was actually louder than the 911 Cab... the 911 turbo was the loudest of the bunch & the 928 was the quietest overall, possibly tied w/the 944 turbo- some were louder by 1dB or at one test speed & then quieter by 1dB or so at another... I'm just giving the basic idea rather than list each one completely...

EDIT: I edited the above slightly- I had misprinted the 944 Turbo as being 30mph at 74dB instead of max 1st being 74dB- evidently, constant 3rd at 74dB would be pretty damn loud.... I have already changed it above, so it's now correct......
Old 01-21-2006 | 11:01 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Why would anyone buy a Porsche and not want to hear that beautiful engine/exhaust sound? Granted I'm not a fan of obnoxious (getting harassed by the cops is always a concern, especially around here) but I heard a guy at the L.A. Auto Show last week complaining about the Cayman "the engine is inside the cabin - why would you want that - you'd hear the engine all the time!" I turned to him and said, "that's the point - it's a Porsche, you WANT to hear the engine!" He simply could not wrap his brain around this concept. Then the sound of the race-revving flat six came on over the speakers (they were playing it loud every 10 minutes or so as part of the exhibit - it was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L - made me weak in the knees and pining for a 911. . .) I just looked at the guy and said, "why on earth would you NOT want to hear THAT?!?! Especially in a Porsche?!?!" He kind of slowly nodded and went back to looking at the car. I think I finally "got through" to him. Who knows, maybe he finally "got it".

Anyway, same idea. I want an exhaust that's going to be quiet enough to not get me in **** with the cops driving around town but will scream like a **** when wide open. To me, it sounds like an SFR 3" with round muffler on a 951 would be the ticket. On an n/a I'd run a 2.5" with the same, or perhaps a Borla or Flowmaster. Both sound nice. Andy (Stig)'s 944 n/a had a 911 trumpet pipe on the back and that's it - that sucker was L-O-U-D but sounded awesome! Without a muffler, that sucker was loud enough to get black flagged at the TRACK!

Quick Reply: POSSIBLE Group Buy on Exhausts