Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POSSIBLE Group Buy on Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:32 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Robby, Im thinking the same thing. I dont really think the 4 inch exhaust from lindsey would have too much of an effect dude to the fact that it is still bottlenecked at 3 inches where it connects to the cat. I checked out the fabspeed exhaust, and pelican parts has a video of a few drive bys in a car with the fabspeed equipped. Its pretty much the exact sound that im going for, although it does seem to be pretty pricey at 900 dollars. Heres a link to the video.
http://fabspeed.com/944T%204.0%20Exhaust.wmv

I like the idea of getting something louder, then fitting resinators/mufflers to fine tune the sound if its too loud.

-Jeff
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just think you guys are crazy. Compared to my RX7 a 951 with an SFR exhaust is non-existant, wouldnt even be heard. Compared to a stock car it is louder...what the hell did you expect? If you could get the same flow with no noise I am sure someone would have done it.

Personally, I dont give a crap what any of you buy, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. That doesnt change the fact that the SFR catbacks that I have heard are not incredibly loud, they arent loud enough to be heard down the street and they certainly arent so loud as to be obnoxious.

I was offering another perspective. I should have known to just keep my mouth shut. My apologies.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
I just think you guys are crazy.... Compared to a stock car it is louder...what the hell did you expect?

Personally, I dont give a crap what any of you buy...

I was offering another perspective. I should have known to just keep my mouth shut. My apologies.
Are we a little testy this morning Matt? your's very well could be quieter- what muffler are you running? Test pipe, resonator, free-flow cat, etc...? This is why I was clearer in my follow-up about having the early round Bullet- my car was usually the loudest car in the parking lot most places I went... Tim told me it would be louder though- it's an easy fix though... Anyone who wants quiet can easily get it & still have a 3" SFR...
Old 01-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Robby, first good question on this thread. Catback only. Bullet muffler with stock cat and DP (temporarily).

The SFR exhaust is NOT loud. The SFR with no cat (gutted,etc) a giant DP, etc IS loud. Of course, if you did that stuff and stuck the stock exhaust on it would be loud too.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, that makes more sense... It also sounds like the Bullet has been put out in several shapes & sizes, but I can't confirm this- but if so, it might also have something to do w/it... I compared my car a few ways though... First, I went from total stock to a 2.5" Bursch w/stock catback. This was a good bit louder than stock, but not horribly loud... Then, I welded a 12" resonator into the Bursch- brought it back pretty close to stock levels... Then, removed stock muffler & added the 3" SFR w/round Bullet- this was the loudest it had been, but not a lot louder than the stock catback + Bursch w/out resonator. Now, w/the Boral XR1 added in the diagonal section, I'm almost back to stock levels again, except that I've recently aquired a small header leak somewhere & now I hear it a lot more b/c of the extra muffling at the rear... I'm afraid to know how much this might cost me... IF it's a huge deal, I'm going to start asking Tim about headers, but I'm assuming they will be well out of my price range, plus will probably be louder too- of course, still wondering about whether the HPC &/or Jet Hot coating would help there...? Hmmmmm.... too many areas w/this car to spend money on....
Old 01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

So... about that groupbuy? I might have been convinced to go with a SFR.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzy
So... about that groupbuy? I might have been convinced to go with a SFR.

Sorry for the tangent man... I'd be interested in hearing more details b/c if the price were right, I could be in for a SS 3" test pipe IF that were an option... But remember, SFR has done 3 or 4 group buys here & I think sold >25 each time... I was like ~#30 on the first one- Christmas 2003... He's supplied a lot of Rennlisters, but I'm sure there are still a lot of cars needing exhausts & many people are always looking for a bargain to jump on. You could also call Tim- he'd probably do another group-buy- compare rates, etc... Might be easier to sell the SFR group-buy here too, b/c of Tim's reputation... Of course, the ones you're looking at could be every bit as good, but it's just that no one knows yet... Also, I'm not sure how much of a prob the large amount of variables could become- not sure how Tim handled that before, but he did offer a few options. Anyway, have they given you any firm quotes yet for a given # of sales? Fabspeed & Lindsey Racing are two others to possibly consider- if not for a group-buy, then for a personal deal... I haven't really compared prices, but they all look like great products to me... I think Fabspeed was going to do a group-buy here a long time ago but it didn't pan out or something...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
I just think you guys are crazy...

Jesus Matt, you don't have to be so uptight about this. We were simply offering our perspective as well. Neither Robby nor I said you were wrong or crazy like you did about us, we simply posted what our impression and the impression of our neighbors and friends have been. And for that you are basically telling us we are full of ****. If you would bother to read back, I clearly qualified my remarks by stating my system is on an NA and is a very early system with a round muffler bullet style muffler. It IS loud and my wife CAN hear me driving down the street from several blocks away and my wife DOES NOT like to ride in the car because it is so loud. Take it however you like, that is my experience with these things.

Would I buy one again? Maybe. The price is pretty good and the build quality is OK and has apparently gotten much better since I bought mine.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Price is about the same at group rates, but since no one knows of this company I'm trying to buy from I might go with the SFR. But... if you're hijacking my thread at least tell me which SFR is better (2.5" on an S2), money not being an option.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:09 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ON the N/A, the SFR system is quite loud. ON the turbo it may be a different story. The SFR on my 84 sets off car alarms, but the sound is incredible!

It's about as loud as a mustang GT with dual 40 series flowmasters...
Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RMills944
The SFR on my 84 sets off car alarms

I forgot about that- the SFR did the same thing in my turbo until I welded the extra muffler in... I go by several in my parking garage that I set off regulalrly & one of them, ALL THE TIME, but it's set a little on the sensitive side.. the other couple are more average settings- also, parking garages echo a little (even though this one is more open) & that adds something there...

Izzy- what do you mean by which SFR is better? Are you asking about size, like 2.5" vs 3" vs etc, or are you talking about Borla vs Bullet? If size, I would think the 3.0L could go either way but might like the 3" better. If type, I would say the Borla, but I'd call Tim first & ask just to make sure that's what he's using for quieter cars. But, again, I like my cars really quiet... I think it's almost completely a matter of opinion there...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotta' have it.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I hate to bring this back up but it appears you guys have nothing to compare to. ANY (read ANY, ALL, ANY, ALL) catbacks on ANY NA are going to be loud. There is a reason the stock exhaust weighs a ton and has about 4 pounds of baffling material. There is a reason the stock exhaust doesnt make as much power...it doesnt flow as well (see baffling). Any time you take a 2" pipe and increase it an inch then take the baffles out of the muffler it is going to be LOUD.

I just dont want anyone to get the impression that this is an issue with the SFR system, it is an issue with any exhaust on any car. It doesnt matter to me if you buy from Tim, from Lindsey, from some outfit in GB, or from a local welder. I have no stake in any of them. I just dont want you to be dissapointed when your X brand exhaust is too loud. Switching it to Y brand (all things being equal) is not likely to change that a whole lot.

Summary - if you want quiet exhaust, stick with stock. If not, pick whichever exhaust makes you feel better at night.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A turbo should be no more or less quiet than an n/a when off-boost, which is most of the time.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Perhaps in theory, but they are quieter, much more quiet in fact.

Quick Reply: POSSIBLE Group Buy on Exhausts