Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please CHECK YOUR MAIN GROUND

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 05:37 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, that is exactly how mine looked like, and thank goodness i got Dan's kit to replace it with.

You think the main ground is bad? take a look at the positive cable
Old 01-15-2006, 10:33 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Thanks for the reminder Mike, I'll change it when I install my new Iceshark pos cable.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:16 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
The series I 944's ('83-85.5) did not have an insulated ground wire for either the battery ground or chassis to engine ground. The series II car ('85.5+) did have insulated ground wires.

The main problem with ground wires is that over time, the resistance in the cable will go up. And as Perry can attest, unattended power cables, particularly the one that runs down to the starter, insulation cracks can lead to the hot lead grounding out, causing electrical component damage and possibly fire.

Regards,
Consider this. If the ground was this beaten up, What does your positive look like. It will cause so many seemingly unsolvable problems, that you can't believe it. The positive on a 951 can actually arc under full boost, and will cause intermittent failures, studders, and tons of horror. People change all manner of electrical crap chasing "the problem" and never seem to start at the very beginning of the system and work down. I didn't either, and it was expensive.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:30 PM
leonc944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I get a good ground strap?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, that ground wire IS cracked up. Is it a hazard? NO! The only real issue with that one, is corrosion intrusion on that wiring. NOW, like Perry said above, the REAL concern would be IF the Positive battery cable looked like that. THEN, you'd have a fire hazard from shorting out, and reason to be VERY concerned. Good to get it repaired or replaced however. The real key to these cables is the loss of resistance going under the battery post to wire connection, and or the lug connector on the other end, as you can't really SEE that part well. Look for trailing green corrosion from connectors, and R&R those fittings if ya see it, and don't have the ability/tools to check the total ressistance value in those cables from end to end. I've been meaning to acquire or make up some ground cables of that type to put on my early cars. That way, there is a more direct connection between the ground post on the battery, and the engine. I pretty much install #4 cable from the chassis to the upper balance shaft front bolt anyway, so not that big a deal. Just my .02. Good find, and checkover!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just noticed something. Kinda off the wall, and no harm intended, but did make me chuckle when I noticed it.

ehall,

in your sig. You have......"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you. "

AND, under your avatar you have for location.........."You're in my crosshairs"

Does this mean..............your afraid of being SHOT?.............

Just kidding! You SURE are not an enemy of mine! JUST made me CHUCKLE!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:02 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Granite 944
Just noticed something. Kinda off the wall, and no harm intended, but did make me chuckle when I noticed it.

ehall,

in your sig. You have......"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you. "

AND, under your avatar you have for location.........."You're in my crosshairs"

Does this mean..............your afraid of being SHOT?.............

Just kidding! You SURE are not an enemy of mine! JUST made me CHUCKLE!
You know sadly, I have been. Twice. So no I'm not. (ergo USMC ret.) However, and more sadly, the theft of Rolex's car got me thinking about what amount of specific info I share with others on the web. There is a strong chance, though no one has any proof, that information about his car, his garage, (there were pics posted,) and info culled from his web site, may very well have made him the target for the theft of his rather public car.
that spot used to contain my hometown. Not so much now. What I put there was, I guess, more an expression of the sentiment I was feeling about this at the time of the change. It is my nature to be the hunter,rather than the hunted.
The quote is from Erik Hoffer, who route a definitive work on the anatomy of mass movements. The book is called The True Believer. I think it is INCREDIBLY relevent, and essential reading in the current World climate.
So there you go. If I told you what I did fear, I would have to become an American Christian Religious Zealot to defeat you.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
You know sadly, I have been. Twice. So no I'm not. (ergo USMC ret.) However, and more sadly, the theft of Rolex's car got me thinking about what amount of specific info I share with others on the web. There is a strong chance, though no one has any proof, that information about his car, his garage, (there were pics posted,) and info culled from his web site, may very well have made him the target for the theft of his rather public car.
that spot used to contain my hometown. Not so much now. What I put there was, I guess, more an expression of the sentiment I was feeling about this at the time of the change. It is my nature to be the hunter,rather than the hunted.
The quote is from Erik Hoffer, who route a definitive work on the anatomy of mass movements. The book is called The True Believer. I think it is INCREDIBLY relevent, and essential reading in the current World climate.
So there you go. If I told you what I did fear, I would have to become an American Christian Religious Zealot to defeat you.

WOW! I'd be to easy a target! I can be "defeated" much, to easily!
You WOULDN'T HAVE to result to such devious tactics!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:58 AM
swimmingly
Instructor

Originally Posted by leonc944
Where can I get a good ground strap?
A lot of places sell ground straps. I didn't think about making a ground strap, but it's relatively easy to make. Keep a heads up as I might make one soon in bulk.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
swimmingly
Instructor

Hosrom and MPD47, do you guys mind measuring the length of the two ground lines coming from the battery connection? I wonder if Dan chopped the length down any bit to create a shorter path.

Quick Reply: Please CHECK YOUR MAIN GROUND