Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil burner - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 AM
ricalien
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burner - what is it?

ricalien here from Los Angeles. New to the forums. I just picked up a 1988 944S Charcoal with tan int. I'm new to the 944, used to have a 924 but sold it. I've had the car for about a week and things have started to work on the car and overall it looks in good shape. I still don't know what all the buttons do in the car but it's fun to drive.

I've went through a tank of gas and it's going through some oil as well. Not leaking but far as i can tell right now about a Qt in a 150 mi.

What do you suppose i'm looking at here? Rebuild?

Any help would be appreciated. Rings, valves? How do i go aobut determining what the scene is? Compression tests?

The car pulls strong but has some ping, like gas knock when i lay into a bit.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 04:05 AM
ricalien
5th Gear

oops think i did this wrong - sorry guys.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:26 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to Rennlist

Well, if you're burning oil, there are only so many places it can go. Do compression and leakdown tests. Check oil for coolant, coolant for oil. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell you to look for; someone else will chime in shortly, most likely. Let us know where you are so someone can offer to help out if you need it.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 AM
ricalien
5th Gear

Thanks alot for the Reply. I'm in Studio City (LA) California. That's what i figured, leakdown, check fluids as u mentioned. Couple shops around (TRE and Speed Gallery) Anybody use these???

What are we looking at if it's a rebuild?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:06 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

http://944online.com has decent rebuilt head prices if that's what you end up needing (around 500 I believe). http://paragon-products.com , my first choice for parts because of their insanely awesome customer service, has the headgasket kit with all the seals, etc. that you would need to do it yourself. http://clarks-garage.com has instructions on the procedure. As for the bottom end (rings), I can't say - haven't had to do that yet, but all the links I put up above will have what you need to get it done. I don't know what it would run to get it done at a shop - I do all my own work.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:02 AM
9xx
AutoX

My 944 S was also burning some oil when I bought it. It had been standing for a quite long time in three different car dealers but was generally in good condition.

Also there seemed to be nothing wrong with the engine, it was pulling strong etc. Between 170 000 - 180 000km car had 3 oil changes and lots of hard kilometers. Then I changed the oil once again, now to Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60. It's not burning any oil anymore. I think it's cured, it just needed some regular driving.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

One more possability - the oil filler neck has 3 o-rings. 1 in the cap, and 2 on the pipes on the passenger side where it plugs into the block. If these are dried out and leaking air into the filler neck, the vacuum of your intake (which it is connected to) will suck up oil mist/vapor and let it settle in your vacuum lines and intake, and also burn some oil as well. Just more thing to look into. An easy way to tell is pull your intake "J" boot off and look for oil residue on the bottom of it.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your burned 1 quart in 150 miles, you would have seen the blue smoke behind you (I hope).
Also, burning that much oil pretty much guarantees you won't get knock
So, most likely it's leaking somewhere, and at that rate, it is leaking bad.
Pull the belly pans (if they are still there) and take a look.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
ricalien
5th Gear

Default Thanks guys more data

Thanks for all the replies. I park in a garage and don't see and leaks whatsoever. Could be leaking as I'm driving. I have to really get aggressive driving but did not see any smoke until yesterday (looked white) but i could smell it when i got the RPMs up. I've only had the car for a bit more than a week or so, and i know it has been sitting. I've put a good 500 miles since on it and it's been running better and better. i changed all the fluids soon as i got it (oil, radiator, etc. - think i also have air in the coolant lines as i have gurgling in the heater inside car and a bit of fluctuation in temp unless i run heater)

I'm thinking about doing another oil change (used mobil 1 20x50 last time) and drive it more.

I get some weird sound once it gets warmed up, like gas ping, i put some gas additive (octane booster) in and it helped. Been using premium chevron fuel. The pinging is like a ticking almost like a gieger counter, again i have to lay into the gas pedal to get it to do so. Over 200K on the car as well. I really like the car and it appears in pretty good shape. Should i keep driving or take it into the shop is the bottom line i guess...
Old 01-11-2006, 03:55 PM
ricalien
5th Gear

Hmmm, i'll check out that J-boot idea. and let you know thanks.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really are going thru a quart of oil in about 150 miles.........you've got a REAL problem on your hands, and NEED to really start paying attention to it, and find out why.

Milkshake in oil, milkshake in coolant, leakage ALL over the place, BLUE smoke to beat the band.........yep, ya better get to finding out why and where its going. THAT, ain't NORMAL.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

why is it the guy that doesnt get his hands dirty has to mention the belts.

if the belts are old, and the timing belt snaps, the oil problem will be the least of your worries. four rings and you are done. but getting to the rings will cost you 5k. do a search on timing belts.

welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Oil burner - what is it?